Proper Wick for Oil Lamps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Proper Wick for Oil Lamps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

What brand or style wicks do you use in your oil lamps? And where do you get them? I'm in the Detroit area -- or maybe off line? I found some at a local hardware store but they seem kinda cheap. They burn and char more than they seem to burn the kerosene. Using them on my 1914.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

Suppliers, like Langs, list them. I bought mine at a local hardware store. They were too wide so I cut them down and they work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 05:48 pm:

sporting goods at Walmart works just fine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Ditto harold - the 1/2" wide from Wally Mart.

There is five wicks in a pack for less than $3 as I recall (often wrong!). The round lamps, '15 and up, use the 3/8" wicks.

Marty,

Are you able to get a nice rounded flame without smoking?

I burned this John Brown 110 continuously for 20+ hours last year on a single font of kerosene trying to see how long they would burn.

I didn't trim the wick or relight the whole time.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:27 am:

Be careful of the wick that you use. We had a table top oil lamp one time that didn't burn very good. It had a 1" wick in it. Comparing it to other lamps we had I realized that it didn't have "wick" in it, it had a piece of 1" webbing that someone had replaced at one time. Replaced the webbing with a piece of real wick and the no more problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Leonard on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

http://www.lanternnet.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

WT Kirkmann (lanternnet.com) has a great deal of info on proper, improper, and plain-old-unsafe fuels for lamps, as well as info that could help troubleshoot problems with wicks and improper burning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

Thanks, guys. As usual, I can always count on you.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration