Shifting a Ruckstell with an electric actuator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Shifting a Ruckstell with an electric actuator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

A few years ago I was on a Model T tour where one of the cars had a Warford and a Ruckstell axle. The owner had a switch on the Warford shifter that electronically activated a solenoid attached to the shift mechanism on his Ruckstell. Very functional system as I can recall. Does anyone have any information or experience with solenoid so that can be mated with the Ruckstell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 04:55 pm:

I don't know exactly how a Ruxtell shifts but could an electric shifter for a 2 speed rear axle out of a later truck be made to work? I've got a 47 IHC with a vacuum 2 speed and when you let off the gas and take the load off the gears it changes them. Guess electric ones work the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

I am thinking a simple push/pull solenoid with a stroke somewhere around 1.5 to 2 inches could do the job. A few I have looked at online have around 15-20 pounds of push and pull force using 12 volts. There is one by Murphey that might get the job done. I'm guessing one of our T friends has sorted this out. Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

The 1950/60's Inter/dodge ones had a electric motor with a worm drive shaft to split the diff change, we had vacuum ones on Bedford trucks which could be a problem if you stomped and pumped on the brakes, the diff would drop into neutral, no fun in a fully loaded flat bed going down hill!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Amen to that. Had that happen on Donner pass. Luckly I got in in before the runaway truck ramp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

Eaton two speed shifter has a motor that loads a spring, so when you lighten the load, it shifts. I think those axles are descended from Ruxtel. They are in common use today. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

How lazy can a person get?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:18 am:

A friend missing his left leg since high school was given his deceased brother's motorcycle. He rigged a solenoid activated shifter to it and I test drove it before he took it to California to be fitted with a sidecar. It worked well but needed to be moved to the right handlebar. I understand a number of amputees are solving the problem the same way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 02:24 am:

Whats wrong with the original method?-I know most people in this hobby are old farts, but ruckstells just aint that hard to shift.
Here we go again repainting the Mona Lisa.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 02:33 am:

Larry, .... any time you think you've heard the worst possible answer,
SOMEONE will come up with something even more absurd ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 06:34 am:

I think if I found the Ruckstell lever too inconvenient to deal with in its normal spot, i would just move it to the left with an adapter kit. I know a couple of folks who have done that and liked it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Mike I guess in an indirect way you have your answer: no one so far knows the answer to your question and the guy who had that setup hasn't posted yet.

Where would you mount the solenoid? Up on the floor boards underneath the driver's seat? Take pics and keep posting as you get this figured out, I think it's pretty cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:33 am:

The solenoid would have to be mounted rigidly to the axle/drive shaft tube so that the relationship to the Ruxtell shift lever would not change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Yes a left hand Ruckstell shifter is convenient , but why screw up a perfectly nice frame to do it?
I just restored an early frame for my car, and had to weld up 13 holes that previous owners had drilled for whatever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

So Larry, welding up a few holes is too much trouble for you? How lazy can a person get? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 04:18 pm:

Larry,

Does anything good ever happen?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

I use a LH shifter without drilling any holes into the frame.

http://antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/May2005newsletter/may2005.pdf#page=4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike-Iowa on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Whoa and Uncle. I surrender. As has been mentioned many times before, a fellow who owns a piece of machinery can do whatever they want to do with it, ownership conveys that right. That said, my question was out of curiosity. The elderly gent that had the set up I was describing was running a stock engine and literally running circles around everyone on a tour that was one hill after another. He had more forward gear choices than Carter had pills. The solenoid was mounted quite nicely in line with the Ruckstell shifting arm. The switch was right on the Warford shifter just like a modern two-speed axle. Who knows he may have been a long haul trucker at one time and he had an appreciation for lotsa gear ratios. Heaven knows I sure cannot judge his obvious ingenuity. Hey it is all fun as far as I am concerned. I love the banter, it keeps life interesting. Mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration