Filing nut or adding washer ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Filing nut or adding washer ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

Happens from time to time, when you can't get the hole for the cotter pin lined up and you really want the nut tight. I'm working on the differential case and don't want to back off the nut to make the hole match ... particularly for this application.

So, maybe I buy three new differential case bolts because the old ones might be stretched. Or I file just enough from the bottom of the castle nut to go to the next slot. Or I get a steel washer and file it to the point where the hole lines up.

The conventional wisdom ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

I think I would shorten the nut. Sometimes I run a drill through to "line up" the hole, but that has a tendency to break the drill bit. Or use a lock washer and forget the cotter pin. But then, if you use a lock washer the hole may line up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

File the nut. Figure the difference from the thread pitch. Farthest you can be from lining up the hole with the castle is a quarter turn . . . a washer is miles off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

Do you want all the strength you can get? New bolts are cheap. Not every nut will be cut the same. Not every bolt will be drilled the same. A selected nut/bolt might line up better. Removing material from a nut weakens it, perhaps just a little, if you remove very little, but it does weaken it. In aircraft work there are thick and thin washers for just this purpose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Was actually going to bring the thickness of a washer down with wet and dry emery paper so I wouldn't have to file the nut. Would also get new bolts and nuts from Langs if that does the trick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Marc, I'm probably wrong. I usually am, but a 3/8"-24 bolt puts the threads a wee bit over .040" apart. I still maintain if holes don't line up with the castle, the most you can be off of aligning is a quarter turn. That means taking off .010" at the most. Any road, last I looked, the only flying Model T belonged to the inventor of "flubber" aka Fred MacMurray in "The Absent Minded Professor " c. 1957.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Roberts, York, Pennsylvania on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

Rich: Your are not wrong. The loss by filing the nut in this case probably couldn't reduce the expected strength by more than a couple of percent, as long it is filed parallel to the original face, and as long the last guy to work on it didn't file it, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:33 pm:

Well, gosh !! Anyone anal-retentive enough to file the nut to align the castle would certainly file it square !! The rest of us bozos either leave it a little slack, or over-tighten it !! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason...........Whittier, CA on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

I keep a selection of round shims on hand for these events. I get mine at McMaster-Carr since they're in my area for handy will-calls.

shims

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

I've run into this situation a lot. What I do is use a different nut. Not all nuts have the threads starting in the same place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:03 am:

Rich, I love your caveat 'I could be wrong'. I use it too, especially when talking T's, as we constantly learn new things which render previous information out of date.

You are wrong again, this time with your maths. You only need to turn the nut 1/6th of a turn to line up the castellations, unless you are using square nuts.

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 12:15 am:

My solution is simple and guaranteed reliable.
I buy new grade 8 bolts and nuts. Then use a torque wrench and Lok-Tite. Never a failure!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 01:28 am:

Brian, Thanks for the McMaster info

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Allan, thanks for pointing out the error in my calculation. However, if the hole is blocked, and you give the nut a sixth of a turn, it will be blocked in the same way. So, the solution is that the most one needs to turn the nut to align castle with hole is one-twelfth of a turn, which works out to a wee bit less than .0035" to file off of a nut. Hardly worth it, eh ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration