Front of driveshaft tube

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Front of driveshaft tube
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Hi all !
Got a driveshaft tube here but it don't look like any i have seen before. it has #T7609 on it. any info on it ? thanks. Kenfront of driveshaft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Is it listed in the Model T parts book of that era? If it has a Ford no. on it probably is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Where's the universal joint ball?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Part T7609 was introduced on May 30th 1914 as a one piece U-Joint housing to replace the previous 2 piece style. It was used from then on.

Others may have other information.

Just for curiosity I typed in T7609 as a general search and it came up on FordModelT.net. Lots of good information at that site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Norm, No universal joint ball. it does not appear to be modified at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

I think it is modified. There have been some very nice conversions on the market the past few years. Furthermore, during that period of time, there were NO Ford script markings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Sunday, March 26, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

I can't think of anything it could be used for with just two mounting holes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 10:47 am:

That front piece needs to come off, and the early type put on, so it will hold the removable front driveshaft ball. Of course this is assuming that the rear is the early type. I recall Ed Henline had the parts you need at Hershey last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

What does the flange face look like?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 01:42 pm:

Could it be a marine engine axle ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ken bechtel on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

a picture of the front of the flange. I cleaned it so you can see it better. if someone modified it they did a nice job, just in front of the bushing it even has a slight undercut . it measures three inches long. my car does not need a driveshaft tube, this tube was with other parts i bought. Ken driveshaft tube

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Owner may have cut off the bell for use of the axle and tube on a trailer.

Nice old time chisel tool marks on the Babbitt bearing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

I wonder if the previous owner might have used a different engine and transmission. Maybe an open u joint? I have never seen one modified in that manor.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:01 am:

Not sure if that is the reason but clearly if you wanted to make a strong trailer out of a T rear end you would be wise to retain the radius rods and cutting off the ball would simplify then just hooking up the radius rods to this casting and using then only the rear end section with a blocking plate inserted between rear end and empty driveshaft tube. A simple bracket that protruded down to then be fastened to the radius rods at the junction of this casting end would make for a simple to build trailer suspension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:28 am:

It's also an Epson Light Black Ink cartridge...man that must be some kind of a printer to fit that thing in it!! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration