OT. Model A question re vacuum line

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT. Model A question re vacuum line
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

Before I order the pre-formed vac lines and fittings, can someone please give me the exact location for the bulkhead fitting (eg. inches below gas tank x inches from edge of firewall)? This is for a 29 coupe.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 05:06 pm:

Your Coupe would have been manufactured with an electric wiper and no provision for a vacuum line.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

Thanks Tom. I am aware of that but I want to add a vacuum wiper anyway. The brand new electric wiper I installed is absolutely useless. I have had vacuum wiper before and am quite happy with their performance. I have a vacuum wiper and it fits the windshield ok. Ads for the vacuum wiper lines claim to fit '28 thru 31 models but I need to know the exact location for the firewall fitting in order to use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

You'll also have to deal with holes in the windshield to fit the vacuum wiper--not all in the same place as the electric wipers.
The metal line goes from the firewall, behind the upholstery panel, up the windshield post (pass side) behind the trim piece. It turns 90 degrees and fits just in front of the lip of the upper windshield trim piece. Then a rubber hose goes along that edge, held by some small clips the go under the windshield frame hinge screws. The hose goes through a hole on the upper windshield frame just before the wiper motor mount screw hole, and plugs into the wiper motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 05:59 am:

Bob,

My '28 Coupe was never set up with vacuum wipers. A friend had them on his '28 Tudor and I have them on my '31. In the case of the Tudor, I don't think he's closed the hole yet so his car might be a potential design aid for your system. I do know he has put the holes in his windshield frame back to correct positions.

Telling you an exact location of the fitting is like asking the location of the radio antenna on someone's T. You can only ask "What worked for you?"

What I can tell you about the vacuum lines is they're very forgiving. The one under hood has some generous bends and it will easily reform a couple inches in any direction. Plus, my '31 line was too long on the engine side and needed to be cut. There are no flares on the tubes; the brass fittings crimp to the tubes so you can shorten them with no problems. Assuming you have a later manifold with vacuum port, the line has to bent to accommodate the various locations of the port. I believe there are at least two manifolds with different ports. To add to what David Dewey mentioned, my '31 also has a short piece of rubber vacuum line behind the windshield tucked up with the hinge screws. This joint is right about where you would have a break for a RHD setup. You will probably discover that you'll have to make some adjustments with any vendor's pre-bent lines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Thanks guys. The vacuum wiper I have does fit the existing holes in the windshield. My concern is that I drill the firewall hole in the correct location so that the pipe that attaches inside will fit up thru the windshield pillar. I saw a chart somewhere that showed the application of electric and vacuum wipers for the various body styles for the years '28 thru '31. There was some overlap on the systems installed and for '29 there were some of each, depending on body style.
Thanks again,
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Here is older post on Ford Barn, might help, shows sketch too.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20285

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 11:50 am:

Thanks Dan. I found the link to the application chart and post it here for reference. It may be of use to someone else.
Bob.
http://www.mafca.com/tqa_wipers.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

If you are still in need of help, post your question on Fordbarn.com in the Model A forum section.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

Robert,
I would have happily given you the hole location (it IS in one particular spot), but all I have to look at around here are '30-'31 cars! I'm fairly certain it is drilled on the firewall section attached to the gas tank, but I could be wrong!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier Ms. on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Hi David, yes I believe the '30-'31 locations would be the same as the ad for the inside pipe (that goes up thru the pillar) states it fits '28 thru '31.
Dimensions would be much appreciated.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 03:05 am:

If you can get a copy of the original Model A Ford Service Bulletins [ mine is by Lincoln Publishing, NY] all the holes etc with diagrams is in the August 1929 section p142. They also appear in the old Floyd Clymer books who basically reprinted the Bulletins, put in some photos of Model A's & called them restoration books! Still good references. Wayne.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration