Looking for some pics of Improved jack handles.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking for some pics of Improved jack handles.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

Picked up a nice jack but nobody at Chickasha had a jack handle. Some guys said they didn't even know what it looks like.
Thanks Geo n L.O. (formerly L.A.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

What does the jack look like? The majority of Model T jacks had a handle on them. Exceptions were the very early jacks,25-27 sedan ,and TT trucks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

If you have a jack like part number 2343, its handle is part number 2344 shown below from my August 5, 1928 parts book. :-)

jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Sorry about the VueScan watermark, I was trying out their software for my obsolete scanner before I bought it. They apply that watermark on all the scans you make during your free trial until you buy the software. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Do you know what the hole is for on the handle, if anything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

I don't, sorry, maybe one of the experts will know.

Many years ago, if I had asked my dad, he would have said, "To make little boys ask questions!". :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

the hole lines up with the hole in jack so you can put a pin or bolt in and handle stays on jack at least with the model a jack

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

For pin or bolt to fix the handle.

That way you can yank on the handle to pull the jack out of the dirt after it thumps over under the axle. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

From the model a restoration guidelines the 28 jack has the hole in the top flip extension otherwise it's the same jack for late T's from what I understand. I am looking for a handle for model a it would have the long end formed into a tire tool not sure if T had that or not

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Paul

The T jack handle for '26-'27 is straight.

That Model A jack handle has hole in one end, and like you posted, a flattened wide end for tire changing. Like the one on this board I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 10:45 am:

The jacks in the T parts books don't show the flip top jacks. The original screw jacks are 10", but if you own a '25-27 with 21" wheels, a 9 1/2" jack is a better idea, because if you get a flat the jack won't fit under the front axle. Been there and done that. I've researched this at the archives, and have been unable to verify this. Also some of the jack handles have a tire spoon on one end, and some don't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 11:42 am:

Larry

Haven't researched at the source, Benson Ford Library,
but have used the ref. of Trent Boggess, who I consider a very valid source :-)

Note the ref. date, "8/4/25" as when the 'flip top' was called for. I suspect this is from a Notice of Change card or some document seen by Trent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Gee and I thought the hole was to hang it up with a nail on the wall! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

I bought the Improved handle from Lang's for my '27 Fordor. It look just like the one in the parts book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 02:04 am:

This information is from the Model A Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards.

Best regards, John Page, Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:28 am:

I wonder if the "15 Millionth" was released with any tools and paperwork; if so, are they still with the car? I think a few of "our" Forum guys have examined the car up close; maybe they can tell us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:59 am:

I have not seen Trent's notes on the jacks. This is good news to me, as I have always been interested in tools in general. Since the screw jacks were 10" tall, I incorrectly assumed that the new style jacks would be 10" too. Obviously my assumption is incorrect, and I'll have to find the correct jack now! I have both style of jack handles, and since my car is a July car, the spoon style jack handle hadn't been issued yet.
Great news Dan, and thanks for posting!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration