Paper shim for Ring Gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Paper shim for Ring Gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Just thinking out loud. Was wondering if anyone had used a paper shim under the ring gear rather than the metal ones that are available. Thinking about the guys doing repairs out in the sticks. There is no movement ... unlike the thrust washers. And the optional paper "gasket" for the drive shaft pinion is used as a shim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:24 pm:

IMHO any shim under the ring gear is a bad idea. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Yes ... but that's not actually what I was asking about. Theoretical question. Wondering if anyone has found one in a differential.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

When I was about 7 Dad was helping me re-size the rod for my brigs and straton engine. He had filed the rod cap too much and had to shim it. He cut a paper shim and all was good. I ran the crap out of it on my go cart and never had an issue. I even pulled it apart once to put new rings in it, and the paper shim looked fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Sounds fine if you can figure a way to keep the ring gear bolts tight. On virtually every rear end I have encountered the bolts work themselves loose in spite of safety wire. Once loose, there is inevitable movement of the ring gear which would quickly destroy a paper gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bill Crosby Webster, NY on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Mark, I have used paper shims, but the oil will degrade the paper and it will fall apart over a period of time. I have had good success with wax paper in a pinch. If you need shim stock stop bye I have lots of different thicknesses.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration