Brown Shorts??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brown Shorts??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

I can't say too much but when using the progressive Blue Press 15 primers went off all at once!!!!!!!!!!! The people at the Blue Press said it is very very rare but new parts are free and on the way! Nice people! Lucky Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

I imagine that got your attention! I never had anything like that happen. I had one go off when loading a 45-70 with a Lee Loader many years ago. Scared my wife worse than me. She also had a .22 go off when she ran the vacuum over it. I wasn't there when it happened. It's probably just as well, too. I don't know if she didn't see it or just didn't think it would go off. It had rolled off the table by the door when I had come home from hunting and emptied my pockets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Never had it in the press. Once in a while priming brass.scares the crap out of you. Bud you and I need to get together some time. Hope you make it to Emma this summer. Joe started oiling things up on the Scripps Booth this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Hal,I looked at a Henry 45/70 today with the engraved bear on one side.Not for me but we got a new Winchester Super grade model 70 with the Maple stock on the way!Myself,i would druther have the Henry! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:57 pm:

Count on it Dallas!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Dang Bud, I'm guessing your ears are still ringing with that many going off.

I've been eying the Henry too. Nice looking guns.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Gary,A couple of great things about a Henry,made in USA,and you can E-mail the owner and he will talk with you!! I need to buy a lotto ticket!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:32 am:

Glad your ok. I've loaded thousands or rounds and have never had one go off. We're the primers near the press when they went off or were you using a primer auto loaded?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:40 am:

The people at Henry are good folks. I spoke with one guy there regarding the finish on my son's .22. He had it in a case, but it wasn't completely zipped. It came out and hit the floor and knocked a chunk off the toe of the stock. It just made him sick. I was able to glue the piece back on and you cannot tell it ever happened, but I had to do a little sanding to get the excess glue off which required some refinishing. The guy knew he wasn't going to make a cent off of me, but took the time to tell me what finish they used so I could do the repair job. I really appreciated that.

Bud, I like that repro of the original Henry. The original was a rim fire, but the repro comes in .45 Colt and .44-40, I think it is. Kinda pricey, though. My wife has her eye on an original Model 1855 musket with the Maynard tape primer. They're about the same money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Richard,The press is a progressive and it was in operation!! Hal,I have sent a lot of e-mails back and forth with Anthony about the way to unload a Henry.No need to fight with a loading gate or lever all the shells out like a Winchester or Marlin! I think i would rather a .44-40 ?? There is a big difference in a .357 from a pistol or rifle!! Bud.PS,I think i need to re think my powder storage!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

Bud,

Your original posting read as if you were speaking a different language. Then I realized you were: Guns.

In the last year or so I bought a Henry .44 Magnum Big Boy and a Henry .22 Golden Boy. I'm not a big time shooter and have never hunted, but I love that they're 100% US made and have beautiful workmanship. The tin cans I shoot don't know the difference, but I do!

I also like my Model 94 Winchester!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 05:13 pm:

Jerry,The way i spell it might very well be a different language!! i have 3,.22 carbine,.17 Golden Boy,and for Christmas the wife bought me the engraved .357 big boy.I have been looking at the matching .357 engraved Silver Big Boy but i see it is Nickle plated?? I wonder if the Nickle will tarnish bad like the model A?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

That some scary stuff. Super glad your ok. I have to stop every now and then when I'm reloading and make sure I'm not just getting careless.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

I didn't catch it was a progressive knew a guy in Michigan who blew one up and burned the house down. Never did find out what happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

Had a few FTFs in a .30 M1 Carbine and it scared the crap out of me to just pull the bullets. (Used a hammer puller.) I still don't know what to do with the cartridges. I took the whole batch of remaining old ammo and put it in a can. Not sure what to do with that either. Will the local LEO take it and dispose of it?

I don't reload. That would scare me too. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

I tend to be extra carefull. My buddy was shooting a new 270 and reloads his buddy's dad made. The guy had been reloading many years. 1st shot and the gun was gone. Literally gone. I was standing beside the bench. Two went to hospitol that day. The guy that made the reloads and my buddy. The guy that made reloads had a piece of the composit stock in his upper thigh against the femeral artery. My buddy's hand was cut to the bone but no real damage. Powder burns on his face. Long story short, he had loaded a max load of pistol powder in a 270 case. We found the major pieces but not complete gun. The barrel went 25 ft forward, the scope and action went up and 35 ft behind us. I had no clue how lucky I was. Found a 1 1/2 " piece of action inside my range bag that night. Smashed through 3 50 round boxes of 22-250 and 223 ammo. The bag was beside me on the bench when everything went bad. I double check everything. I just picked up a Dillon last fall but havent set it up yet.
Bud what went wrong ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

Several years ago I was playing at a festival in Idaho and got there pretty late. Schmoozing the sound man and the promoter and some obnoxious girl about 12 barged in front of us and asked if I would like to buy some raffle tickets on a gun, a guitar or a mandolin. I bought about 10 (found out later she was the promoter's granddaughter) and darned if I didn't win a Henry Golden Boy .22. Fine little gun. Took it home and showed the kids. They thought it was really cool so for Christmas I got her a .22 Golden Boy, him a .17 Heritage with the octagon barrel. Also got myself a Golden Boy .17 and a .22 standard. Now I have several of the large lever short barrel carbines -- one in every pickup pretty much and one right by the door in the house. Girl and I are waiting for warmer weather and the Gophers to come out, she has two 16 year old friends that love to shoot Gophers so I'll be taking 3 girls Gopher hunting in her 1948 CJ2A in a month or so. Looking forward to it, been buying her ammo for Christmas, Birthdays, etc. for 3 years now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

I sure would like one of those new .410's!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 08:13 pm:

Love shooting my old 1873 Springfield 45-70. History is fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

By the way, while we're on Guns & Ammo--Just ordered an ATN X-Sight II in 5x20. Hope to pick up a S&W AR Sport II this weekend and put the hurt on hogs that have been tearing up the place.

This is two different hogs. The first one is smaller.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Stephen, hunting hogs is on my bucket list. Happy hunting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

Dallas,For the life of me i don't know what went wrong and it was not me working the press.Dave We load and shoot the model 1876 Winchester 45/60 my grandfather had.A couple of years ago i gave it to my oldest grandson.The Blue Press is his and it is a marvel to watch but i don't know what happened?? Good on ya Stan!! I think me and the grandson need to have a talk about slowing down and on the bright side it scared the hell out of him too!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

Bud, I've been following this thread also, as I have a Blue press and have been loading since I've been 14. Glad you only had brown pants and didn't hurt anything aside from your pride. I've never had a primer go off, let alone a stack of them. Glad you only had 15 in yours, not the 100 I load in mine! I find I have to use ball powder in the progressive as I've had larger long grain stack in the funnel. Caught them before I loaded the bullet as the next load overfilled! Under or over loads can be equally dangerous as they both increase pressure.
On a similar note, I sewed up a kid that loaded 75 grains of shotgun powder in his 50 caliber Thompson Hawken. Blew a chunk of barrel into his right forearm. He didn't initially tell me what he did until I pressed him, as I also own the same rifle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 12:31 am:

Noel,He/We were lucky as the primer tube was down to 15 from 100! It spoiled the tube and several other parts.I will check on what powder he was using for 38's with cast bullets.Previously we had heard some sort of problem followed by a wack then back to loading! He and i need to have a talk!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:57 am:

Never had primer(s) go off on me when using my RL550 progressive, thankfully, but did get out of sync once and proceeded to press my left index finger into a .357 case instead of a 158gr wad cutter, OUCH! Had a nice smile on my finger tip and lost all sensation in it for a while but it has since totally recovered amazingly. Be careful out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

And now the rest of the story! Parts came today and so did the grandson.He replaced all they sent which was everything needed but every now and then the when the cartrige was being primed it would get out of line and give trouble.He tried a couple of adjustments but no help.His wise?? old Gramps said why don't you call Dillon?? Long story short they have a MR know it all and he said look on page 16 at fig 78 and the book say's this adjustment should be about.010 but he liked two or .003!! The grandson said his adjustment looked like 3/16 so he went to as suggested and presto!! Problem Solved.Good press,Great people,and prompt service.Happy Happy Happy! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Thats good news Bud. Happy loading.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Scary s--t happens! I was working on a 6hp outboard that wouldn’t start. Flooded, too much gas. I have a ‘trick’ of pulling the plug and putting a match inside the plug threads to fire it and dry it out. Usually only a little poof! Wow, scared the dickens out of me this time, must have been really over loaded with gas. Did it one more time when the wife was there and it made her jump too. Maybe this is not a good way to dry out the cylinder?? Anybody else done this??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 01:34 am:

Kenneth,

A long time ago I was in a place far away. Just me and about 400 guys who couldn't speak English! I went to shoot my M-16 one time and all it did was 'click' ! Primer 'dinged' but no boom. Different kind of brown shorts. We provided instant LZ for a company called Air America.

Turned out I was the only guy within maybe 20 miles holding .223. Firing pin had gone a tad off, no spare...but I did learn that dinged primers reloaded for a second try worked great! Was only slightly uncomfortable walking Around. With a dozen or so clips predinged until I could find a gunny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 06:46 am:

George, we had the opposite problem with my wife's AK. She's sitting at the bench squeezing off rounds when she got a double. I picked up the case from that second one and the primer was barely indented. It was just a very faint imprint from the floating firing pin continuing forward after the bolt was home. They make some heavy duty primers to prevent that, but they aren't readily available. Matter of fact, when this happened, NO primers were readily available. You shoot what you have on hand. I've since seen small rifle primers on the shelf in the heavy version, but still haven't seen any large ones.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration