Gas smell while driving

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gas smell while driving
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

I have searched the forum threads and cannot seem to find a relevant thread. I get a slight smell of gasoline while driving. Not overpowering but definitely noticeable. I have no visible gas leaks and do not have any gas smell while parked in the garage. It is only noticeable driving and even then just a whiff here and there is this normal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Full tank? Maybe just sloshing out the vent in the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

Thanks Hal - no don't think so... Tank is actually in the pickup bed not under seat. Wind would send that to the aft...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

The later style caps aren't perfect, but they do spit less out the vent hole than the earlier caps.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2901BQ.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Not a problem.

If you smell gas and your moving you know you haven't run out of gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

I was expecting someone to tell me to lay off the tacos!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Your float might be set too high and your bowl gasket might not be too good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Put a dab of Vick's vapor rub under your nose and you won't smell the gas anymore.:-)
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:31 pm:

My Flivver always has a bit of a gasoline aroma after filling the tank. _For safety, leave about a gallon's worth of slosh-room at the top of the tank for expansion, especially during the hot summer. _That leaves you with six gallons of usable fuel because when you're down to three gallons, you may stall out on steep or long hills. _I get about 14-15 miles per gallon, so a fill-up is only good for 84-90 miles. _Crazy, huh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Monday, March 27, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

My ex wife often complained about a gas smell while we were driving. The car did not seem to matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 10:55 am:

That's the reason the Indians called 'em "skunk wagons".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 11:17 am:

I had a friend that told me when he was a boy ,the smell of gasoline was his most vivid memory of his father's Model T. Guess we all have gotten use to that over time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

You are driving way to slow if the smell of gas can reach your nose! LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

Peter, you actually CAN get an odor of gas coming from behind you even with the tank in the pickup bed. Even in my runabout with the top down I constantly feel a waft of air on the back of my neck. Pickup boxes will actually catch air at the rear gate and send it back forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:40 am:

I have a 23 Touring car and Renee complained about the smell of gasoline when we were riding along. It was a stronger smell when the gas tank was just filled up. Inspection showed it was small amounts of gasoline splashing up the single vent hole. Later inspection showed there was also a bit of a leak around the threads of the cap since it was not a perfect thread match between cap and tank threading though the threads were correct for both fittings. I did 2 things which totally solved the problem:

I purchased a 26/27 style gas cap. These have a chamber in the top of the cap with 2 vent holes that are spaced a distance apart. One hole vents the gas tank to the chamber and a second hole vents the chamber to the outside. The holes being offset prevent any splash and the chamber is funnel shaped to drain any liquid back into the tank that splashes into the chamber. I took that cap to my local big box hardware store and selected an "O" ring that stretched a wee bit over the threads to stay put at the top of the threads where there was a lip for a gasket. Gaskets tend to soak up gasoline and cause odor rather than seal out all gas. The "O" ring was not a super thick one but just enough rubber that when I screwed the cap in I could feel when the rubber touched the tank surface and only continued screwing it down a wee bit to put some tension on the rubber "O" ring. This makes the cap easy to remove when adding fuel but it does NOT vibrate loose and that ended completely the odor of gasoline. Renee was happy with me and all was right with the world. She still isn't too thrilled about side curtain performance during heavy rain but I explained the main purpose of side curtains was to give the passengers the "illusion" of staying dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:00 am:

John, thanks for that info. That's a good idea. My wife has a bionic nose so she can sniff out gas fumes even before anyone else can. I'll have to try that. You're right, it's always worse when the tank's full, and I like to leave the house with a full tank most of the time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:38 am:

I get blamed all the time when my wife smells gas!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration