OT growler

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT growler
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

I am using a old Allen armature growler for T generators. Question , what is the reastat knob used for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

Is it like the one shown part way down this;
https://www.afcaforum.com/forum1/15086.html

Me no clue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 04:27 pm:

Low setting for "Little Old Lady" drivers who never leave town, mid setting for highway drivers and high setting for racers!
:-)
Actually, I have NO idea, never saw a rheostat on a Growler before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Other thought, could it be a rotary on/off switch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Mark, the growler is the same as the one in the link you posted. Not a switch, pretty sue it is a rheostat. Tried different settings and could not see any difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:56 pm:

Thinking about this further, perhaps the rheostat is to adjust the reading on the meter, then you can compare each tested winding for equal continuity--and find if one is partially shorted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

I would have to see a wiring diagram to be sure.
The growler function has no need for a rheostat.
My guess is the rheostat is wired in series with the ground/short test probes via the low wattage bulb so you can vary the voltage in during individual winding tests. Not sure why, because this test criteria is any significant difference difference from all other winding's.
I have worked on many Allen Electric automotive test sets and many seem have some "gimmick" that apparently was to give them some distinction. Read "buy me" Most of them were a distinction without a real difference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Dave
An intra-winding short should show up on a growl test.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

True. Either it's a gimick, or it's for some other use?
(I am reminded of the Chinese safety manual that stated, "NOT for the other use."
???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

A "growler", as I know the meaning, is the result of the Rancho Chico
No.2 Burrito Combo, and what a rheostat has to do with that, I have no
idea !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration