Engine Thoughts.... what year is it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Engine Thoughts.... what year is it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Klinger on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

So I thought I had a 1926 engine....based upon the serial number 13410625.

However, I was told that the two piece valve covers make it an earlier engine. There is also some type of stamp just to the right of the serial number 4 3 19.

Look forward to your thoughts and opinions.
engine 1engine 2
engine 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Block was cast April 3 1919.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

The block in my 19 was cast on July 28 and it became a motor on July 30.- there is a good chance someone messed with the numbers on yours. I think it would be safe to assume that your motor was built in April of 19

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

Drop the first "1" and the serial number corresponds to September 1919. However, I don't think a block would have sat for five months between casting and assembly.

The number pad looks like it may have been filed or ground down because the upper edge recedes into the block instead of having a crisp edge that projects proudly from the block.

The numbers are especially sloppy because some have been double struck. I don't think that typically would have happened in the factory.

First "1" does not match the second "1." Also, the first "1" is double struck

"4" is double struck

"0" is double struck

There are other intentional punch marks (dots) on the number pad

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on March 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

I would agree that I've not seen a factory stamped block with that type of misalignment--misalignments, yes, but just not like that one is stamped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Going by the pic of your car, a 23 Touring, the engine was probably installed later in your cars life.
It could be it came out of a 26 T that had a replaced engine from a 1919. The engine was stamped the engine no. that was originally in the 26. T engines would pretty much interchange and no telling how many were after 80+ years.

Don't know for sure but it looks that way. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you have a good clear title your good to go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

This relates to a thread a few weeks ago about replacement engines being the vehicle VIN and it's relationship to state registrations and vehicle titles.

Possible that a replacement motor was put in a vehicle and the owner felt the need to have the current number stamped on the engine block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

Replacement engines came with serial numbers, but replacement blocks didn't. They were to be stamped with the numbers of the blocks they replaced. Was this a replacement block that sat in a dealer's parts department for seven years before it was used? I suppose it's possible, but more likely it's an engine that's had its number changed for some unknown reason. As Dude Lester says in Tobacco Road, "It don't hurt the runnin' of it none." If the number matches the title, I wouldn't worry about it. As for what to call it, just go by the features. Those make it a 24 or a 25. I think the hand brake quadrant said 24, didn't it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 10:56 pm:

And the door hinges. There were many '24 only features, and no '25 only ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 02:04 am:

Should be easy to tell if it is more likely a 19 or 26. Single or double valve cover?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:55 am:

The cast date clearly indicates a '19 build. Someone just re-numbered it wrong, maybe to match a previous title? If it were a true '26 engine it would also have the coil box mounted on top of the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:24 am:

Yes, the engine is obviously 1919. But the rest of the car isn't. Apparently it's mistakenly registered as a 1923, but its features say 1924.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration