Camshaft end play

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Camshaft end play
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Ledbetter on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

New to the T world. I have a 26 touring and I'm in the final stages of a motor rebuild. I have a question on the cam play that I can't seem to find anywhere. I used my old cam bearings and now that it's in the cam moves from the gears being in perfect line to the cam gear touching the front cover. It does have some resistance when I pry it back and forth. Where did I go wrong? Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 28, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

Sounds like you have 26/7 front bearing on a earlier cam shaft, the end play is set with the front bearing, early shafts have all the same width in lobes but the late one has the #1 lobe about 1/8" wider, a combination of late bearing and earlier shaft will give you that 1/8" of shaft moving forward to touch the cover. hope you make sense of all that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Ledbetter on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

Makes complete sense. I'll check that when I get home. I thought I might have had the 2 cam bearings switched but if I reverse them it defenatly rubs on the cam lobe. Is that normal or dead wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 02:19 am:

Aaron,
Need some more info on what you are putting in, as in what cam,early or late, if ground or stock, a early ground cam requires a thrust kit to stop end play, photo's would help.
What the spec would be is to get about .004" end play on that front bearing.

The diff in the 2 front bearing set-ups.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 08:29 am:

If you have a correct front bearing with .004"ish thrust clearance than look at the hole in the bearing for the bearing retainer bolt. This should be a snug fit,I have seen a lot of play in that area. You can build up the shoulder of the retainer bolt or replace the bearing or sometimes both to fix the problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:55 am:

Sometimes you can solve the axial play problem easiest with a set of thrust shims between the timing gear nut and the timing cover. Chaffins sells such a set, but it's easy to make yourself. I made it with a couple of standard steel thrust washers from a machine shop and a delrin plastic washer in between custom fitted to the needed thickness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Ledbetter on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Well I had the early camshaft. And I had the bearings switched around. All is good now. Just hope it fires up and runs ok after I drop it in tonight!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Let us know Aaron!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration