OT Phone Scam to get you to say "yes"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Phone Scam to get you to say "yes"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 02:29 am:

I heard of a phone scam on the news tonight. Someone calls on the phone and says something like, "Oh! I wasn't expecting for you to answer. can you hear me?" The whole purpose of this phone call is to get you to say "yes" so they will have a recording of your voice saying yes. Then the scammers use that and your phone number to order things. Not quite sure how it works, but they said the best thing you can do is hang up without saying anything. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 07:06 am:

Best way to avoid those calls is to use "NoMoRobo". It's a free service that screens your incoming calls and eliminates calls from known spam and robo numbers. Has been working great for us for a year.

www.nomorobo.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 07:16 am:

"YES" Jim I heard that too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:32 am:

That's what makes caller ID worth it's price in gold. If we don't recognize the name or number, we don't answer it. Period. No problems here. Cliff, thanks for that link, we'll plug it in too, but hope it works better than the so-called "do not call" list for the telemarketers. Not as effective as it used to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Hey Cliff! Well, just went to the site, and wouldn't ya know, good ol' AT&T does NOT support Nomorobo! Go figure! Thanks anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:57 am:

I think my ex wife used just that scam on me .....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:02 am:

FJ..yeh, first they say "yes"...then they say "no"!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:57 am:

I got a call last night from someone insisting they were with the IRS, and that they just needed my SSN and Credit card info to sort a problem out.... Seems legit.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:57 am:

The nomorobo has worked well for us in the past. Especially during elections. But now the telemarketers are bypassing it by going through local numbers that show up on the caller ID. And, the nomorobo has a side effect if you get a robotic call from your pharmacy or Dr's office to confirm an appointment, it won't get through.

And, the phone always rings once and then the robo feature kills it, but you still get the one ring.

What a world this has turned into.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:01 am:

I Vill sell you sometink worthless,veather you vant or not! (ie car warranty)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Yes it is real. These scammers are stooping pretty low. https://www.truthorfiction.com/can-hear-phone-scam/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dodd on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:20 am:

I got one of those calls. I answered the question with "you bet" Recording wanted me to repeat my answer yes or no. I said "sure". they hung up after the third attempt at a "yes"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:22 am:

I just had one the other day that may be a similar tactic. I answered the phone and the first thing a guy says is; "Your back and knees hurt, don't they".

I said; "What, No". He tried to continue the conversation without identifying himself but I just hung up.

Be careful with all incoming calls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Tim is right about checking the 'Caller ID'. If you don't recognize the incoming name or number, don't answer the call. Avoid the headache!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

What gripes me are the ones that I might actually be interested in like the NRA (National Rifle Association) that start their fundraising calls with a statement that "This call is being recorded for quality assurance purposes" before they even identify themselves. The NRA called me a dozen times a week trying to get me to donate until I got really nasty with them and they FINALLY took me off their call list.

Another one is Instaflex. Once you order from them you can't get rid of them. Call and call and call and call and call.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cliff Colee on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

I used to work for a company that built telemarketing suites. One of the features we were forced to include (by Federal law) on every computer desktop was a big button marked "Do Not Call". If a customer says "Hit the Do Not Call button" the telemarketer is supposed to click there and the number would be removed from the calling list.

Nowadays, most of the operators will hang up quickly if they hear you begin to say "Hit the Do Not Call Button", or "Please Remove This Number From Your List". That way they can call you again.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

I get calls that say, please hold for the next available person. We needs to talk to you. I don't hold but hang up. Anybody else get this call??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

We do not answer unless we recognize the caller on the caller ID. If someone wants us bad enough, they can leave a message and we can return if we want.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

I usually press one and say in my most officious voice: "Department of Justice, Fraud, Anderson (or whoever), How can I help you?"

I guarantee you that will get you taken off the call list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Nomorobo won't stop automated calls from your doctor or a pharmacy. It works by looking at the caller ID and killing the call if it comes from a known spammer. If your doctor's office is getting blocked, you can contact nomorobo and get that number taken off the list. I love it, and my doctor's automatic calls get through just fine.

You do need to have a phone line from a cable company. It won't work on a regular land line because it depends on being able to have your number ring in two places. Caller ID doesn't come down the line until after the first ring, which is why you still hear one ring before the call is killed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration