Wrecking crew

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wrecking crew
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Looks like a Shriner's thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Must've been before they went to the little cars!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Ben Ali is in Sacramento. Shriners do a lot more than the little cars. Antique cars is one group.

http://www.benalishrine.org/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Wonderful group. They were there when my daughter was little and needed some expensive care. St Jude's is another fantastic organization. But I don't think St Jude's has any go-carts or motorcycles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 06:21 pm:

Of course Saint Jude's doesn't have cars or motorcycles...They have wings! :-)

Yes both groups are fantastic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

There is an organization called World Pediatric Project. One of the things they do is bring children from South and Central America who need orthopedic treatment to St. Louis, where they are treated free of charge. Many are treated at Shriners Hospital here. I became involved unexpectedly in November 2013. All the kids who come here are from either Spanish-speaking or English-speaking South American, Central American or Caribbean countries. Then they had an unexpected problem. A mother and her 16-year-old daughter were coming for the daughter to have surgery at Shriners for her severe scoliosis. The problem was that they were from Suriname, the only Dutch-speaking country in South America. Their usual volunteers were all Spanish or English speakers. They found me and I became involved. The mother was a police officer in Paramaribo, so her everyday English was pretty good. Medical discussions often involve more than everyday English.

An unexpected complication was that the mother became ill while they were here. When I was helping interpret with her daughter's doctors, my relationship with the mother was that of two adults who had met a few weeks before and were discussing someone else's medical issues. Once she became ill, I was also helping interpret between the doctors and nurses and the mother. When we met, I had not expected to be asking her about her most recent bowel movement or her last period! We both managed to maintain a good sense of humor about it, but it was a little weird.... :-)

In any case, the operation was a big success and the girl's posture is worlds away from what it was when she arrived here. Didn't cost them anything. Both Shriners and St. Jude's do fantastic work. Hats off to both of them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqNVwepcDs

Apparently some of the Ben Ali Model Ts are still around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:53 am:

The people at Shriners are wonderful. Our daughter has had several operations there. The care was fantastic. Just like the Model T hobby, there are some great people involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Stevens-Mulino, Oregon on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:07 am:

My Grandfather was a Shriner, what a Great group of people, the Fez, the cars the clowns he told me is all about getting people to notice them. He was also a Freemason, what another great fraternity always involved in charity work. To become a Shriner you must first be a Freemason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:49 am:

There is also a lot of volunteer work done by Shriners at the hospitals. There are always vans in the parking lot with the names of Shrine Centers from all around Missouri and neighboring states that have been used to ferry patients to the hospital.

I am also in awe of what medical professionals can do these days. The girl I mentioned had severe curvature of her spine. I saw the before and after X-rays and they were astonishing. I was sitting in when the surgeon talked to the mother after the operation to update her on how it had gone. (I wasn't interpreting as much as I was just clarifying words and expressions she didn't understand.) One thing that hadn't occurred to me (though obvious in hindsight) was when the doctor said, "Of course she's taller now." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:55 pm:

Dick, I think that's quite a story. Over the years I've had several back surgeries (5). Two of them resulted from breaking 4 lumbar vertebrae. They've done laminectomies and some other procedures and my spine curves off in one direction quite a bit. As a result, I was shocked to find that over the last 20 years, I've gone from 6' down to 5'10". :-)

I'm happy for what they did for the little girl. I wish I wasn't too old to benefit from such a procedure. But, life goes on and the little girl can count her blessings that you were there for herself and her mother.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration