26 - 27 wire wheel hub cap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26 - 27 wire wheel hub cap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen-Trosky Mn. on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:17 am:

I bought 4 26-27 wire wheel hub caps from Mac's, that do not fit right. They snap in, then are loose and slop around. Anyone have the same problem?
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:24 am:

You should have bought them from Bobs. His are made using the original dies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:34 am:

A little more help might be to comment that Model A hub caps require "crimping" from the back side after installing. There is a tool to do this - I've seen it advertised, but don't remember where. Sometimes you can do this with a long screw driver or as many A owners do, put some silicone or even Jb weld from the back side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Bend over every third tab from the backside, then snap a black rubber o-ring around the outside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Bingo - Ed !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen-Trosky Mn. on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:08 am:

I will try a thin o ring to hold it out a little on the tabs.
Thanks for you input
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Don't over-do the tab bending, about 5 is all you need to hold it on--that saves the others for "next time." I set the hubcap on a pad on the floor then the wheel weight holds it in place while I bend the tabs with my "special tool" (an old long, large screwdriver!). If you want to be fancy, find a long punch and use it instead! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 01:06 pm:

Like to wrap old time friction tape around the tabs, up close to the inner edge of the cap.

The tape acts as a gap filler and then as David posted, whack only ever other tab to secure with a long bladed screwdriver!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Just received some from Lang's. I simply did just like David D said and they were tight as they needed to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Carstensen-Trosky Mn. on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

I went to Mac's because Lang's were out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

I did mine like Frank Kelly. Rolled over on a thick piece of cardboard and pushed the fingers out with a long screw drive. Followed by a few light taps on the screw driver.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration