Different mag horn

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Different mag horn
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Anybody ever see one like this? I guess the knob is to adjust the sound. No name on it that I could find.

horn

h2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

usually the adjustment is down inside the snout at the center of the diaphragm. Take a looksee down into the front snout and see if you see the usual screwdriver slotted center adjuster with a locking nut surrounding it. Please ditch the phillips head screws around the perimeter. That is tantamount to using GM supplied hardware. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:17 am:

John -- You should know I wouldn't put those phillips screws there, that's how I found it. Someone has had it apart to put new wires in it and didn't use the proper screws to reassemble it. I'll look for the adjustment screw inside the snout today. If that's not what the knob is for, then what is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:56 am:

I bet the knob is just a handel some one put on it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:32 am:

If that is a typical mag horn then there is nothing inside the motor cover except a driver coil which resembles a small laminated transformer whose core is open toward the front of the horn so as to magnetically pull the plunger in and out to honk the horn. I never for a minute thought you were the one who installed the phillips screws but they are painful to look at :-) The PO may have ground the rivet off that holds the driver in place and decided to hide the hole by putting a knob on it. Lots of strange ideas out there. Maybe he had it mounted on a swivel mount and used the knob to aim the thing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration