1923 TOURING FRONT FLOORBOARD SPECS???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1923 TOURING FRONT FLOORBOARD SPECS???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

Does anyone have a drawing, sketch or the dimensions for the 1923 touring front floorboards? I have some leftover/old oak flooring that I would like to use to make my own front floorboards. It does not seem to be rocket science, but I have been wrong before.
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 08:20 am:

Hi Paul

For starters, the floor boards are going to be a lot thinner than your flooring...

I completely rewooded my '23 and seem to recall that they were in the range of 9/16 or 5/8" thick, and each board was fairly wide...

unfortunately, this car is out of state right now or I'd provide a lot more detail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Contact Jon Anderson. He makes perfect reproductions out of solid wood, not plywood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

I am trying to find out the overall dimensions of the front floor boards. I can deal with the thickness issues as soon as I have more information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Paul

you will find that you will have to build the floor to match the car...I should have stated so in my original post.

I rewooded my car to Mel Miller plans. Even when you get to that sheet it will tell you to cut to fit your car. There are at least 3 versions of a "23" and they all will take slightly different floor boards, particularly the front angled floor board that encompasses the pedals. The primary thing is that the rear floorboards are one piece assy with two tack strips underneath that holds them together. Same with front flat floor. The front angled floor is in two assemblies that fit to each other with a lap joint that falls squarely in the middle of the pedals (you can use the pedal trim pieces to tell where that split is)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

I too am using the Mel Miller plans. And yes there were different body builders. I am locating my front seat pan today, so I will build my floor boards to fit. As always, I am looking for all of the help I can get. Also, I have a couple of sheet metal front floorboard riser that I will use if possible.
Thank you, Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 07:27 pm:

Paul

when I was at your stage of the build, I set the front pan in place over the starter button...then squared it up to the frame rails.

This set the location of the vertical body pillar on driver's side as well as the door shut pillar.

This also will define the front/rear length of the front floor board to the break where it becomes angled up to the firewall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

Could someone measure a touring or roadster floor board, make a sketch with dimensions so I can make the cutouts for the pedals and brake lever? I think I can fabricate the floorboards, but need the exact locations for the cutouts.
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

Paul

Some rough dimensions to help. If you have pedal trim plates, easy to locate the slots.

Measures are centerline of slots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Paul

I surely am not trying to be a pain in the butt, but I've been where you are and I built the floorboards to the frame and cut the pedal and brake holes afterwards, to match the exact centerline and throw of the brake and pedals(within range of the metal bezel that reinforces the wood around the hole). I think that what you are hoping to do (make all in one shot from a sketch) will simply make you do it twice. Please reconsider.

scott

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration