Carburetor question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Carburetor question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

I've got a friend who is very good with the flathead V8's and model A engines. He's in his 70's and has been working on this old stuff since he was a kid.

He told me at one time his Dad would buy Model T's to take them apart and make hay wagons out of the frames and sell them. Everything else just went out in the back 40 with the rest of the "junk".

Over the last several years he's been making trips up to his old home place and been dragging home anything he could find that he thought might have some value.

One of the things he brought back was a Model T intake manifold with a brass Rayfield Model L2P carburetor on it. While talking to him yesterday, he mentioned he'd be willing to part with it.

I started digging up information on the carburetor yesterday and I'm starting to realize there's not a lot of info available on it. So, I figured it was time to come to the one place where I'd most likely be able to find something.

So; here are my questions;

1. Is the Rayfield carburetor an aftermarket piece?

2. Is it as dependable as a Holley NH or a Kingston L4?

3. What years would they have been used?

4. Would it outperform the Holley if I decided to run it on my Speedster along with a higher compression head and a higher lift camshaft?

5. Would it be better to get it as a display piece and put it on a shelf with some of my other old Model T stuff?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

I'm no help with #2 through #5, but the answer to #1 is yes. According to the encyclopedia, stock carburetors were Buffalo, Holley, and Kingston. No Rayfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Thank you Steve. I haven't looked at the encyclopedia much lately. It's time I go back and look at it again. I've also got a really good book written by Bruce McCalley that I'm going to go dig into again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 04:25 am:

I think Uncle Stan would have the best answers for 1 through 5. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 07:45 am:

David, I couldn't agree more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Mike, you may want to do a simple web search. Just type in "MTFCA Rayfield" and see what comes up. I'd bet you'll likely get quite a bit of info from past threads and posts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

1. Yes.

2. Rayfield runs fairly smooth if you can get it adjusted correctly. They were built to run on 55-60 octane gas. They also leak a few drops every time you shut them off. Air valve type so need little adjustment once dialed in. The later Rayfields are much simpler and better.

3. Circa 1912 - 1918 for the early style, UF style mid 20's. There is another Rayfield style in between. It has a slanted flange to set the carb in from the frame.

4. Probably not.

5. Yes.

http://www.strombergof.com/Other_Carburetors.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Thanks Stan, maybe if I can get the Rayfield and intake at the right price and polish it up a little it'll be a good display piece for over the mantle. Now I'm excited to get it from him. I'll attach photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Also, I really appreciate the website. Reckon I'll spend some time there this evening.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration