Going thru motor and trans now

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Going thru motor and trans now
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

I'm in the process of having my motor and trans gone thru. It will get a new Scat std. crank, cam, pistons,and anything else that is worn out. What grind cam, cam gear (Alum/bronze)etc. should I use. Since a lot of you have had a lot of experience I will listen to the experts. It will be going in my 24 Fordor, not looking for extreme performance just a good strong motor. I have already done the front and rear axles, spokes, tires, tubes, rims. I have a complete new interior from clastique waiting in the wings also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Wednesday, March 29, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

300 lift cam from ford n more and a 7.5 advanced bronze cam gear a fordor is a real heavy car so you want as many horses as you can get so you can pull a hill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:04 am:

A properly rebuilt motor utilizing mostly standard components will be more than capable of meeting your requirements. That being said, I think your decision to go with a Scat crank is a good one.

I also believe a slight overbore on the cylinders with new aluminum pistons is a good choice. Also, I really liked the adjustable lifters. They're a lot easier to adjust than having to grind the ends of the valve stems to set valve lash.

While on the subject of valves I'd suggest dumping the original two piece valves for good stainless and install hardened valve seats.

I'm of the opinion that a good rebuilt Holley NH carburetor will give pleasing performance.

I'll leave the choice of timers up to the experts. I will say that I've been using Anderson timers for several years without any complaints.

Beyond that, every performance enhancement you can afford should make you smile. A higher lift cam, high compression head, high volume intake manifold, are all great improvements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:11 am:

From what I've heard, the camshaft, camgear setup Spencer suggests is a popular choice. I've been considering the 7 1/2 degree advance as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 12:17 pm:

Thanks for the input. I will be going with aluminum pistons and new valves with adjustable lifters, hardened seats. Is there any advantage on what style of lifter to use (self locking/locking nut). I'm planning on driving and enjoying this car a lot, so I want to make it as dependable as possible. I think I see new trans drums to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

John,

If you actually need a cam, I would go for the Stipe 250, or equivalent Chaffin's cam.

On the lifters, I would suggest the lock-nut style, but don't cut down your tappet bosses, as some do, to allow access to the lock nut at all tappet positions. Not needed! The "self-locking" style, as used on a couple of cars I'm aware of, ceased to "self lock" at some point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

I sent Chaffin's a PM requesting his Dyno results to help with my cam choice. This is a GREAT site, You do not know how much it has helped me with the work I have done on my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

John, Jerry's probably got a good point with the .250 cam. It's easy to lose track of the conversation when it comes to performance. A performance cam is a good choice for the Speedster for sure. If your desire is to provide sufficient power to pull your Fordor down the road, the .250 is probably the best choice. Also, Chaffin's Dyno tests have some pretty good information and based on what I saw should give good guidance for determining what direction to go in terms of horsepower and torque.

I apologize if I seem to be a little indecisive in any suggestions I'm giving you but it's because I'm trying to decide what I'm going to do to optimize the performance of my speedster's engine.Every time I think I've decided on the best setup I read something else and I'm off on a tangent.

And, of course there's always "the budget"!!! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration