Oil pan gasket installation?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Oil pan gasket installation?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:24 am:

What is the proper way to put in a paper oil pan gasket? Use copper washers on the bolts? Use Permatex #2? Use Permatex #2 on both sides of the gasket?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:32 am:

I don't use washers, and I use the black RTV that is high oil resistant ( I think there's a "weaker" version too?) and smear a thin film on both surfaces. Learnt from my expert engine guy to then wait overnight before adding the oil, as the RTV needs time to cure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

I've gone to using Hi-Tac aircraft gasket sealer. It seals real good and is easy to dissemble parts. You just brush it on and assemble. It also holds gaskets in place for assembly. It's made by Permatex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uW0u6aUjQBI&t=326s&index=39&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8 WQm4tGmKK1nA0Yctp6G

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

Ignacio before you reinstall your oil pan with a new gasket make sure its flat all the way around.

T oil pans tend to dimple inward in the bolt holes after years of tightening and retightening.

Clean up the oil pan and then lay it on a flat surface and flatten out the bolt holes with a hammer.
If you don't do this it will still leak no matter how much sealer you put on the gasket and try to tighten it up, add rubber washers and etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

Are you talking about the inspection pan or the complete pan? if the inspection pan what has been stated is adequate. If the complete pan it should be straightened on a pan straightening jig.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:31 pm:

Inspection pan only. I am not yet skilled enough to do a complete engine tear down. I am just doing a simple refresh not a tear down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

John is right on the money. Straighten that inspection cover. :-)
I might venture a guess to use the sealant you have on the bottom side of the gasket only. Perhaps leave the top or the block side bare so it'll come apart easier later on. Then theoretically, the gasket comes off with the oil pan/inspection cover. Ooh, maybe a light coat of grease on the top side of the gasket?
Shoot, if you want no leaks at all, clean all pieces and slime that gasket on both sides and bolt it up.
Copper washers? Yes, use them if you have 'em already. If you don't, the sealant will do it real nice on the bolts.
Personally, I'd really like a report after some run time to see if they leak at all.
That's on one of my to-do lists. Rod cap filing and oil leak stop on the inspection cover bolts. My '18 (with a '23 engine) is a real drip, the '19 engine that hasn't been opened up for 70 years down there hardly leaks at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:51 am:

I drove mine to the firestation monday night. Parke and got out. One of the guys said " I cant believe that thing dont leak oil". I had just steped off the running board. I said give it a minute if it doesnt drip I need to put oil in it. It dripped and oil was fine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Ultra black, and 5/16" Dorman copper washers. Almost never a leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Inspection plate is in! On to the head!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration