Axle spacer disc

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Axle spacer disc
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:02 am:

The axle housing gasket set that I have only has one solid spacer disc in it. I'm talking about the solid disc that is about the size of a nickel. If I need more what should I make it/them out of?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Tommy, We have them. Both in the original fibre and a new brass one which is thicker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

And they take forever to sand down on a belt sander :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Lost my finger prints for weeks after getting the thickness on mine just right. Ugh The kit i bought from Lands had 2 in it but ended up using them both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Same here, wish I had known about the thicker brass disc when I did my Ruckstell. Silly me for not checking Chaffin's catalog! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

Tommy,

One should be enough, even if there's still some end play. This is not a super critical dimension. Most T rear axles I've had apart no longer have any spacer and it doesn't seem to have made a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

If you install the (shudder) disc brakes you really need the endplay to be zero.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Andy,

Yes, ideally, but don't the calipers have some float?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

I think the issue is that end play knocks the piston(s) back and increases pedal travel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

Tom is right, with end play the piston(s) can be pushed back some and it may be necessary to pump the brakes once (or more in extreme, fix it now cases) before you have pedal pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

O.K., got it! Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

The fibre washers are two thin. Thus you must use two and thin them down to fit. Our Brass washers are very close to what you need on average. We just made them last year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

I've seen coins used. Nickel? Quarter? Can't recall what fits. Not saying that's the thing to do... just syain'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 04:21 pm:

I don't recommend it, but I have had a couple model Ts that had no such washers in the rear end. They seemed to work fine that way, but again, not recommended.
I have replaced them with brass flat washers, even a stainless steel flat washer once. And on at least one occasion, a coin. I believe I used a quarter.
Buying a proper replacement from Glen would be better. We need to help support the parts dealers that help us keep our cars going! But, when I discover I need something like this? I am usually in too much of a hurry to wait for the mail. However Glen and Dave always got things out in the mail really fast!
Thank you Glen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

Quarters work just fine. Before extra length axles were readily available I widened the slot the axle retainer clips fit in and moved the gears closer to the inside ends of the shafts on my speedster axle. I think I've got 4, maybe 5, quarters in there to make up the spacing. No problem and running it that way for over 20 years.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration