OT-old photo 1906

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT-old photo 1906
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:41 am:

Check out this beast!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:44 am:

So are those guys the driver and the footman?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Another early electric?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Driver and footman or two pushee's when the batteries go dead!

Another great picture of history but I'm stumped on how you got this photo of Patty and I on a shopping trip to get her the very first parakeet she ever had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

I SEE A WONDERFULL PIECE OF HISTORY AND WISH I WAS THERE TAKEING THE PHOTO.WHAT A GRAND THING FROM WAY BACK WHEN,AND THE SHARPNESS OF THE PICTURE TOO. THANK YOU TOM, I ENJOY SEEING WONDERFULL PHOTOS LIKE THAT.GREG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

I believe one of the first true "Hybrids." Maybe a Woods?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

It certainly is the antithesis of a Model T. It reeks of money and privilege. Just look at the facial expression of the guy in the back seat, presumably the owner.

Thanks Rick! It's a really great photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Yeh Henry, the guy in the back seat's got that smug "Boy look at me, I am rich and got my two drivers to prove it" look! The missus just looks plain bored, probly rather be home being served tea by the servants. One heckuva nice car though, wonder if it was the fore-runner of forward control?
Great pic Rick!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

That is Rhode Island senator George Wetmore and his wife in a Kreiger Electric Landaulet, complete with Chauffeur and Second ("Running") Footman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

What the heck is a footman?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Robert, a foot is the thing on the end of your leg. It has the toes on the end of it, man.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

Footman were basically an assistant butlers. Wealthy houses could have several that varied in rank and duties. A "running " footman was a term held over from the days of carriages and coaches where the footman assigned to the livery would occasionally run along on foot ahead of the vehicle and clear obstacles or warn of road hazards.
When a footman was assigned to assist a chauffeur (as this one appears to have been) they would dress in matching suits, coats, boots and gloves, much like a matching team of horses would be fitted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Well I'm sure good old G.W. enjoyed his privilege and deep draughts of OPM, But I would loved to have driven that fine looking conveyance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

And I imagine the missus would get a little feisty when the chauffeur ran over any freshly deposited horse biscuits. Hopefully she remembered to put a bit of perfume in her hanky before she left the house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

That is absolutely beautiful! Gross and grandiose but beautiful. Whirr!
Where the devil is there room for the batteries?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Uncultured cretin that I am, I only see a silly AND ugly (even if it is
historic) conveyance. Something about hoods out front with grilles
and headlights .... just gotta have 'em !

Note the etched "scene" side glass. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 08:42 am:

Duey,
Batteries were stacked under the operator's seat and reportedly were good for 65 milse per charge. Kreiger also pioneered power steering, gasoline/ electric hybrids and regenerative braking systems.

All before the Model T ever hit the market!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Martin on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

Hi All. Could this vehicle be Front wheel drive or may be 4wd. By the looks of inboard of the front wheels, there is a lot of heavy iron also the wheel hubs could be full of gears for motive power. Regards ...Neil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

No Dale that's Dennis and his wife Patty, didn't you read his post. I could just picture one of those guys holding the cage with the parakeet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

a GILDED cage, no doubt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

65 miles is nothing to sneeze at then. Well, if one was a bit gentle on the throttle.
A regen brake without a computer and the vague Pascal style writer/coder making one wonder about a hundred different things verses the fella that needs to make it go? Too darned cool. I've had a couple people ask me about regen braking lately on a modern 80V DC to 80V AC 3 phase system.
Interesting to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 12:10 am:

Burger, how do YOU pronounce cretin?
I use MASH's Charles Emerson Winchester's notion/pronunciation of cretin as a guide.
Interested still but just pullin' yer chain hard. :-)
I want that "car" but I'd just scratch it and use it.
EV's are right cool, right in front of us today yet far more difficult to sort out if one needs to adjust something on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 07:37 am:

What a nice car! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Agree Tim, neither "silly nor ugly".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Ha! Ha! Allan from down under. Now I know!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Aesthetically bizarre. It would look much better about a half-ton lighter, on finer wheels pulled by a handsome team of 15h2" greys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

Rich,

Your comment is dead on. That thing is a snapshot of the transition from animal drawn vehicles to self propelled vehicles. The carriage style, the difference in rear and front wheel size, a driver and a footman, and so on all speak to a vehicle that had not yet adapted to its new means of propulsion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg pacana on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Probably took 6 tons of coal to produce enough electricity to charge batteries for the day. Lol
Awesome picture!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration