What to do. TBAY trouble

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What to do. TBAY trouble
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

I sold a set of wheels on Ebay. My listing said "don't pay until I invoice you" I listed $85 as shipping and said "I listed 85 because ebay wants you to say something, I will charge actual shipping" I contacted the buyer several times asking how I should ship[ with no answer. I got back to him today stating that shipping would be $120 . Very soon after, he paid for his item and the $85 shipping. Long story short he still owes me $35 bucks and he knows it.
It is too late to invoice him, now that he has "paid". I feel like he paid to complicate things as far as me collecting the other $35. I won't use his name, but he bought TT wheels and lives in Dale Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Contact the E-bay resolution center and ask them on how to proceed. My guess will be since you listed a price that's the price but check with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

Contact the E-bay resolution center and ask them on how to proceed. My guess will be since you listed a price that's the price but check with them. Another thought is to cancel the sale if you haven't shipped yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

You can file a claim with the eBay resolution center. I've had to contact them with problems I had with buyers and sellers. And they helped with my issues. Try that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

I wouldn't ship until I got the $35. Point him to the actual shipping charges reference and let him make the next move. He hasn't paid, just made a partial payment. He may have just overlooked the reference or he may be trying to be cute but either way as long as you have the wheels he is the one who needs to get the issue resolved. Just be sure to document everything in case Ebay gets involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

First thing is to call the buyer and try to speak with him and then work through eBay. I've had this happen and it always works out in the end- just hassle in the middle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

I don't trust anyone on Ebay. When you buy or sell something the selling or buying price PLUS shipping should be listed at a set amount.

It always works better when its done that way.

Doing the research BEFOREHAND is ALWAYS the best way to go when dealing with folks on Ebay.

I have a 100% Ebay rating and have used this method and it works. The price should always be set by emailing the seller or buyer BEFORE the deal is made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

just send him his money back, resell them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 07:37 pm:

Thats easy. cancel the sale.. just go to my ebay to the sold item and cancel the item.. I've done this in the past when I thought I had more items to sell but didn't. He get his full money back and noway he can come back at you even trough a feedback. Its all been cancelled

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

I will give him one day, then I am leaning towards cancelling. thanks all

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Tell him the 85.OO shipping quoted in the listing was FOR ONE WHEEL ONLY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike conrad on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:10 am:

Its 35 dollars! I understand somewhat, But it can't possibly worth a bad feedback rating. Just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 01:14 am:

There are five choices for shipping when setting up an eBay listing:

- Free shipping
- Flat shipping: same cost to all buyers - this is where the seller lists a specific shipping fee when setting up the listing
- Calculated shipping: cost varies based on buyer's location and shipping provider/service options offered in the listing (USPS, UPS, and/or FedEx). If desired, you can offer multiple shipping providers and multiple services under each provider
- Freight: large items over 150 lbs
- No shipping:local pickup only

You can also add a handling fee when you set up the listing which is useful for calculated shipping and freight as it allows you to recover the cost of packing materials and the commission on the shipping fee, etc.

It's bad practice to choose flat shipping and populate it with an arbitrary dollar amount and then put a disclaimer in the item description saying the buyer will owe or be refunded the difference.

This situation could have been avoided if the shipment measurements and weight were determined prior to setting up the listing and calculated shipping was chosen when the listing was set up. Then the buyer automatically would have been charged the correct shipping fee based on his address and the chosen shipping provider/service.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on March 31, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Well said Eric.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:36 am:

Ebay's UPS calculator is really off. I sold an item that I listed at 50LBS after actual packing came in at 42LB. The buyer payed the 50 LB rate. Even after all was said and done the shipping still was over the amount payed. The Ebay calculator does not factor in the "EXTRA" fees charged by UPS. Point is now anything I ship UPS I add extra as handling fee and I state in my ad I will refund any amount over $1. Another good idea, if you use UPS you are now or need to be, signed up at UPS web site. Check the amount there for the longest distance from your shipping point to see what that cost will be. UPS does not seem to use a fixed shipping cost like the Post Office,it can fluctuate with the market, you will note that the shipping cost is not subtracted from you Pay-Pal account when you run the shipping label. It comes thru at a later date.
Even if you go the a UPS store and buy pay on your card the shipping cost, the charge does not seem to show up in a normal amount of time, like the next day after paying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:50 am:

All good points. SInce he did not respond to any of 5 emails asking him how to ship the item, I canceled the sale and his money was refunded through paypal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:55 am:

Cancel the sale and next time find out what the dm shipping cost is before you post it. Does he owe you $35? Bet he doesn't think so. I'll also bet he didn't read your disclaimer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

Is this a dumb question? How can shipping be calculated beforehand if one has no idea where the purchaser is located? OK with flat rate boxes, but not for individual parcels. At least, that's the way it is here.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Ebay has a built in shipping fee calculator for USPS, UPS and FedEx.

You need to determine the size and weight of your package before creating the listing. You then enter the package dimensions and weight when you actually create the listing.

With calculated shipping, when a potential buyer looks at your listing, he will see a shipping amount based on his Zip Code. The winning bidder will be charged a shipping fee based on his address. The seller can create and purchase the shipping label online via eBay which is priced at a discount.

It's not complicated and has always worked slick for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Read what I posted RE UPS shipping and my experience in just the last two weeks. Ebays shipping calculator does not include the extra fees charged by UPS only the shipping cost before those fees. USPS has set fees and the Ebay shipping calculator does a good job with the postage cost for same. There is at this point, no discount when using UPS and not all services have a discount thru USPS when using Ebay label printing or even using the USPS online store. (No discounts may only apply for us non store sellers using UPS)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Mark is right about the shipping calc being messed up, I read about it on the ebay forums as the same thing happened to me. I purchased an radiator, shipping showed 34 dollars in the listing, then when the invoice was sent, it jumped to 75. I couldnt figure it out at the time, and neither could the seller. Luckily with my fedex account I was able to have it shipped cheaper than 75. However a couple days ago I found out after some research, that the calculator for fedex was messed up, and now I see it was for UPS as well. I think they have it back working now, but Im not 100% sure.

The other thing is in regards to what Erik says, is true, but ebay does Not have an option for shipping multiple packages in one listing. So it is impossible to ship more than one package within the same listing using the shipping input components. An example would be, say shipping 5 26/27 wire wheels. Unless strapped to a pallet, you cant box more than 2 together without them being to difficult to handle. (Ive never tried more than 2, maybe 3 would work). So with five wheels you have 2 to 3 packages. No way at all with the ebay shipping calc to put in 3 packages. You cant just add up the weight of 5 wheels plus the dimensions and put that in. You will still short change yourself, since shipping services have a base price and tack on for size and weight depending on the scale they use after that.

So the only thing I could figure out is to mark listings like that as "PICKUP ONLY" with a caveat of "WILL SHIP" in the title. I describe the situation in the details box, and give the weight, size of each package and my zip so the buyer can check on shipping for their selves'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Not sure what you mean by "extra fees."

If you are talking about things such as paying extra for signature confirmation, then I can look the fee up UPS's website and add it into the handling fee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garrie Nolting on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

I have sold dozens of sets of 4 T wheels on eBay. They ship 2 per package. However eBay does not understand that concept. I have always had to note in BOLD print that the actual shipping will be twice what eBay has estimated. I also exaggerate the weight because the calculator never estimates enough. The buyer is always happier when I send the invoice for the actual amount and it is a little less than the ebay estimate. I have shipped many wheels before I received full payment and have never been stiffed buy a T owner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

42.0 lbs
(42.0 lbs billable) 20 x 8 x 6 in.
Other Packaging
UPS Shipping Service and Shipping Options

Service:
UPS Ground Service

Shipping Fees Subtotal:
36.98 USD

Transportation
28.40 USD
Fuel Surcharge
1.93 USD
Residential Surcharge
3.40 USD
Delivery Area Surcharge

Package 1
3.25 USD

Does that help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

I went on-line for bib overalls on ebad. Their international shipping fees on one pair of overalls varied between $19.80 and $38.00. I have no idea how they work that out.

They are playing ducks and drakes in Australia Post too. I used to be able to calculate overseas postage using a charge chart and could advise our customers of the charges. Sometimes that killed the deal. Now I have to pack the parcel, take it to the post office, have it weighed and the costs printed out, bring it home and email the charges to my customer, and then have the deal killed. I guess the savings from printing the charts were used to subsidise the >$5million salary paid to the CEO.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

To add to what I just posted; The Ebay listing is showing just the "Transportation" cost not the other 3 to the buyer. So even a listing that has a weight of 50LBS then when shipped at actual weight of 42 LBS can still come up short after the other fees are added in. (really short $'s if it really did weigh 50LBS)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration