The other gas-line ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The other gas-line ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Working on getting my acetylene head lamps operational on my '13 roadster. I'm told there's supposed to be a rigid line (copper ? brass? ) running along the frame between the carbie generator and the branch tube on the radiator.

I'd like to know the tubing size, and how it's routed - inside the frame channel ? How and where is it attached to the frame ?

Any particulars on its shape or attachments ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Here's a thread about 1911 routing: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/361854.html?1371823897

Don't use copper. It forms copper acetylides which are explosive - brass should work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:30 pm:

Rich,

We talked about the 1/4" brass "rear gas line" and the single clamp on this thread for the '13 and '14's,

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/540853.html

The brass line is 44" long and runs inside the left frame rail. It's held in place with one clamp as shown in the above thread. I have my '14 gas lights plumbed as shown and it works fine.

The 1/4" brass tube came from the hardware store and I made up the ends,

The clamp was still on my frame. It is not as complicated as the earlier cars.

I run a Prest-O-Lite "B" tank and used the acetylene this morning when I drove the car to the office.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Thanks to all who posted for answers, pix and links !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:38 am:

I'll try to remember to take a photo of an original '13 gas line soon. As far as the clamps go, the one Royce posted is correct, and they only used the one in '13-14. The engine splash pans also used the same bolts. Randall posted a photo of the location of the clamp. I just checked the location on my '13 chassis, and it's in the same place. It's true, Kim made a few of these clamps a few years back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

Since brass is roughly 2/3 copper wouldn't it still be dangerous as Roger said of copper?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Robert. there's no accounting for the mysteries of chemistry. My question is, if copper is dangerously reactive to acetylene, what about the copper tips on my oxy-acetylene welding torch ? Does the admixture of oxygen make the difference ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

The site in the link below implies (to me) that if the gas is being used in a torch, the risk is reduced. I suppose it's because the reaction products get burned as soon as they are generated?

https://arlweb.msha.gov/Accident_Prevention/Tips/acetylenegas.htm#.WN6Gy2jytPY

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 12:24 am:

If you can't find the brass tubes. The local hobby store here had them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

The fine thread bolt (1/4-28) and square head and nut with a hole in the bolt is exactly the same bolt that holds the engine and transmission pans to the frame. In the "factory" picture of the clamp in the 1915 thread there were no engine pans nor transmission pans in the photo which means that you are looking at an unfinished assembly. Note also that the 4 bolts that hold the drive shaft ball ring in place are also not installed. I am wondering if Ford didn't just use the engine pan bolt to hold this clamp. There typically were holes in the frame for those engine pan bolts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration