Steering wheel on one seat speedsters (race cars)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering wheel on one seat speedsters (race cars)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Harms - Sacramento County, CA on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

When I see some one seat speedsters, the steering wheel appears to be in the middle of the car, directly behind the engine.
Am I seeing this wrong and the wheel is off to the side?
Or is there a process to have a steering wheel directly behind the engine?
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 30, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Back in the day different center steering gears for single seat racers could be bought, but nowadays they may have to be fabricated from other parts - here's a thread showing how Mark Herdman in Australia builds his twin engine single seated racer: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/513865.html?1422564948

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 10:39 am:

And, it seems to me that the steering wheels are lower to fit a seat mounted almost directly on the frame, with the gas tank behind the seat, not the seat over the tank as in a street T.

Was everntyg just shortened? Or am I not seeing these correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Thank you for posting that link Roger. I'd forgotten all about that beast :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:30 am:

Many of them used a steering box out of a Franklin and modified them for center steer. I have 3 of these, all modified differently for the same purpose.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/272604989599

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration