Float on a 2 screw holley

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Float on a 2 screw holley
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:50 am:

how do you adjust the float on a two screw holley ? I'm trying to get it just right filling the puddle, but i have to take it off and completely apart every time to adjust. Is that just how it's done or am I missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:48 am:

I've never been able to get one of those carburetors to work. I soldered an original cork float bracket to a N.H. float and it fits. The problem is getting the float valve to seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

Don, the MTFCA carb manual has a lot of helpful information. Handiest suggestion in there is to build the float testing setup. With that it's easy to drop the bowl, pull the float and tweak the needle arm until you get it right. With the top off the carb you can see the "puddle" easily.

Stan Howe's advice on the float needle is that new parts are not well enough finished to seal. Polish the tip until it's mirror perfect then give it a "whack" in the seat. I followed his advice, float needle works with no leakage in the Holley G I set up.

I have a "two screw" for my '13, but it needs a bowl. Probably has the NH float in it, it's brass. I'm wondering if the "G" float needle would work in it ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

If we are talking about an H1 Holley, Stan does away with the original, troublesome needle and seat and converts the carb to effect a positive seal. The original setup is marginal at best. That said, the one on my Chocolate van has been there for 22 years, and has only recently developed an alarming tendency to drop fuel every now and then when I stop. I have a Stan built replacement waiting to be fitted.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

it is an H-1.This is not a ordinary needle and seat, these carbs have a different setup. I see why they didn't stick with it. It's almost a ball that hangs from the top and drops in a hole, hard to describe. I think I got it this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

I thought the correct name for the Holley 2 screw was Holley S. Not so?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:27 pm:

couldn't remember to tell you the truth, it's been a while since i messed with early carbs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Constantine, I sent two H1 carbs to Stan. My friend's was a two screw, mine three screw. Stan found machining the two screw cover harder to get a good fit. He suggested that the three screw design was a later improvement to alleviate the warping problem with the two screw type.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration