What are these tension springs on my steering column called?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What are these tension springs on my steering column called?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

I've only seen about 6 steering columns in my limited T exposure, but this is the only one I've seen with this tension spring setup half way down the column. Presume it is some sort of ant rattle or separation set up, but if I wanted a set for another column, what would I call this to look for it?

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

An aftermarket accessory that puts friction on the rods so that the gas and advance levers don't drift while driving. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/168343.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Robert-
They are called accessories.
They are supposed to put tension on the rods of the gas and spark levers so they don't move around when you don't want them to. Mostly used with worn quadrants.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Makes, perfect. Sense this donor/project car was full of bandaids. Water pump. Tension springs on the tie rods. Tension springs on the steering column rods. Interesting as the quadrant on the steering wheel is fantastic with sharp, well defined grooves.

Thanks for the heads up on this accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 10:40 am:

I believe in the old days they were called anti-rattlers.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration