Toolbox locks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Toolbox locks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

How are you guys protecting the finish of your tool boxes from being scratched by the lock as it swings? I have a nice period correct lock and don't want to cover it up with an inner tube. ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

I have a piece of flat leather about an 1-1/2" wide and 2 inches long that is slit to slide over the loop that the hasp goes over. When the hasp is over the loop the leather is held in place and the lock rests on the leather when it is passed through the loop. I can't show a picture as the car is in my storage space right now but I can take a shot of it tomorrow if you want. Thirty five years ago and old timer told me that is how they used to do it and it certainly works well and looks correct for the era.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

Allen, on mine the hasp is bent outwards at the bottom so there is something to grip to lift it. This bent out tab keeps my padlock away from the box.
My padlock is a brass one, stamped 'C of A electoral'.It was most likely used to lock a voting box on polling day. It is rare to find a period lock with a key.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Search sites for small self ashesive raised poly dots called Braille Dots. They are used by the blind or visually imparred to put on items like telephone keypads, oven and microwave number, etc. to help feel the surface area. They come in various sizes as small as 1/9". Put a dot or two on the backside of the lock where it would rub and the small rubber will act as a buffer pad. Almost impossible to see. And if you don't like it, you just peel them off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

Allen here is a picture of what I did with a scrap of leather

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 01:41 am:

This is my tool/battery box lock.

From the side you can see how the hasp keeps the lock off the side of the box

Aĺlan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration