What did they do back then. Rear axle carnage and more.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What did they do back then. Rear axle carnage and more.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

This is meant to be pure fun and folly. :-)
So I'm putzing and "mining for parts" again today and thanks Mr Jelf for teaching me that phrase. :-) Looking for a decent left hand axle housing in my stash. My original is bent all to heck.
I think I found a pretty nice RH housing a couple days ago. Needed one as my original is way out of whack. Too deep between the bell end and the thruster surface. .070" too much I think.
I had peeked into this 15-19or20 rear axle several days ago and had forgotten about it. :-)

axle

axle 2

axle 3

So what do you do when your rear axle $h!t$ its guts out? Well just toss the busted stuff, slap it back together because ya lost the original bolts and use it for a trailer axle. What else?
Didja catch the pinion cover? And the reformed Babbitt thruster? Jeepers, the perches are salvageable so it didn't last long as a trailer but it was for a time before the gas axe got it...
'nother thought. What do YOU call an oxy acetylene torch? The torch? A gas axe? A smoke wrench?

Ooh. I absolutely HATE magnetic parts! GRRRR!!

mag-lev

Nice wiring job. Hehehe!

WIRE

A hundred years ago, it busted where?

shoe

Fun for me anyhow! :-)
Like Carson, more to come.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

Sorry, I couldn't follow? All I got out of that was; it's a mess!

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Anything usable?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

I've always called it a gas axe. My neighbor use to call it something like a "hot chopper" or?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Blue tip hacksaw. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Say. Would you look at this for me?
Today's "miner miner Forty niner" nets me this. I battled and battled to get the cover off and then bloop! It's off. With a washer and a spring on the ground.
Wait a minute. That's the outer cover, spring and washer from between the "covers".
The seal section is still on the axle. Wha?

seal

This little gizmo is cooler than... Well, let's just say it's cool. To me anyway.

seal2

T & A mfg from St. Paul's GREASET............ The rest is obliterated.
What? Have you seen these? Can you/would you fill in the blanks?
Yaeh, I have to go after the inner seal housing so I can pull and measure the Hyatt. So I can set it aside and wish it had larger rollers. :-)

What do you do when you $h!t the axle or wheel off of your trailer? Drag it on the road sideways until you're home of course.

what a drag 2

Then you put an axle in, a wheel on and go some more with your trailer!
See that grease leaker drilled hole? I found one yester with a plug of wood in it's leaker drilled hole...
That's all I got. :-)

Kinda like my variations theme eh? This is fun!
You have a something to show like this?
Let's show it off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

Willis. Hahaha! Yep! A mess or a couple of messes! That's why I posted! :-) My parts stash is a mess! :-)
Dallas, not a thing usable but fun! Maybe a RH housing and if I'm really lucky with the one that crapped its carrier? A LH housing. Hahaha! ya right. :-) We'll see.
Mike, hot chopper. I like!
Dave, Blue tip hacksaw! I'm still laughing over that one!
Awesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Duey, that cast brake shoe broke in an unfortunate place. Had it been cut in two pieces at the pivot bolt, it most likely would not have broken. Even with the springs fitted correctly as they are, one big piece would have been liberated to cause all sorts of damage.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, March 31, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

Allan, the rest of the shoe was in there and the springs (rusted) in their place. Nothing out of the ordinary. :-)
Twas a nice looking rear axle from the outside. Parts in place etc. I had to pull the hubs etc.
Yes! Why on earth was it not broken/cut at the pivot bolt? That's why I posted this fun stuff. :-)
Those two pics back to back (look for the dusty similarities) are of an axle I believe to have never been a trailer axle. The perches were just too nice.
Theoretically, that car was operated like that until the Blue tipped hacksaw came along and freed it for us to see a hundred years down the road.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 12:32 am:

I was raised calling it a "heat wrench"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 04:34 am:

Called smoke wrench around here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 06:39 am:

It's been a blue tip hacksaw around here almost as far back as I can remember! At least back in the mid fifties. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 08:01 am:

Hot wrench around these parts.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration