WWI Ford Drafted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: WWI Ford Drafted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 08:49 am:

Apparently vehicles were drafted as well as people:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142332269025?ul_noapp=true

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Thats interesting. I would like to bid on that for myself but I dont think he would ship the the States. Anyone in GB want to help?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:36 am:

I have done a presentation on WWI U.S. military vehicles for the Military Vehicle Preservation Association on this subject. Also needed to research the marking for my WWI War Wagon.
In the U.S. Military, when a vehicle was "drafted" it was assigned a military registration number followed the a "x". The intent was to return the vehicle back to it's owner.

In England and France in the early days of the war, familys would "donate" their vehicle to the war effort. Unfortunately, for the drivers, it often meant "donating" the chauffer as well and he was conscripted into the military.

Ford's major contribution with Model T's was for ambulance use, but many civilian T's and TT's were modified for everything from machine gun carriers to long range desert patrol vehicles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 10:09 am:

Robert, you forgot to mention the car in your photo still survives:

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/index.php/2014/07/18/last-remaining-world-war-i-ca dillac-to-go-on-national-historic-vehicle-register/

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 10:41 am:

I know that the French government in WW1 commandeered Model Ts on Tahiti (of all places!), I have a pic somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

Will,
The ebay listing says ship world wide.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration