Still working getting it right

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Still working getting it right
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Pic 1 is from the software that is used in the CNC router to cut the design. The outside cut is done last to square up the board after the design is made. A pass thru the sander on what is the back side thins it down and the excess is removed.

I will have to post a followup picture from my phone for the final. This will take a few minutes.

This pic is of the drawing file used to "tell" the router software where to cut. I can also take it and use it in a vinyl cutter and a laser engraver, those projects are coming but due to the expense I want to refine my file more, so some help here is requested from fellow forum members who have an original sign. I do not trust the repo's and getting this kind of information off of a manual then blowing it up to the size of an original sign will distort the view. Here is the picture, followed by what I'm asking.

The line down the middle is used to mirror a drawing, that means you draw something on one side and copy it to the other side making a balanced and even drawing on both sides, as you can see the "new blue" lines are just that. The red line is my outside line and the angle at the bottom and the very top are not the same. The inside blue line was offset to the outside to be the "new" red line and because the computer can make a line the same angle and radius and maintain the distance(offset) all the way around, it gets very close at some points and you really notice at the bottom how the angle is steeper on the red line. I am wanting to find out which is the correct look. Any help here will make this have the correct look. Also in the top picture you see an A and a B because I can scale the drawing I am wanting to get a measurement here, I have been working with 36" but these was routed out on a smaller scale and the end result is 6.875 X 19.00.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:35 am:

Jerome,

Your bottom picture with the color scheme would make a fantastic neon sign! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:38 am:

Here is a photo from my phone of the cut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Dennis, I never thought of that. The different colors are used to help me differentiate the lines and that I put the different entities on different layers. When it comes time to finalize the file everything goes on one layer and I remove the unwanted layers so the software does not get confused.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

That almost might look good as a tailgate on my pickup......
Are you taking orders?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

As soon I get all the details worked out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

As soon I get all the details worked out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Free shipping to the Speedster Reunion in June, correct Jerome?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 12:31 am:

Yep!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 01:49 am:

Here is my final after finding so few signs online today. Tomorrow after Legion breakfast I'll look thru my own copy's of books.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Julian Bankston on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 08:08 am:

Jerome
What bit did you use to route that sign?
Julian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 09:35 am:

We used a 60 degree 1/2" bit. Have on order a 90 degree bit that should give us a little bit shallower cut. I may be able to get that posted later today for a comparison.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 10:41 pm:

Jerry
I am making a bench chair and was thinking of painting a Ford logs, but now you have me thinking. If I ship you the bench base (1" red oak 12" x 30") could you rout the winged logo on and bring it to the speedster reunion in June?

Jon Crane
cranejon@hotmail.com
Rochester Mich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:04 am:

Still working on some different previews. This pic is one from my scanner of the back side of an original Nov. 1912 manual. I could not find any online images that were big enough to see any detail that was not a repo sign.
I haven't yet measured but this looks a bit flatter than what I have already drawn and I may need to adjust some. I see that the spires are closer to the same length and in this rendition gold is used not white.
I scaned at 1200 D.P.I. and that is why this blowed up so well. On the back of the manual the design is only 3" long.
One thing to note is I have the font wrong on the bottom "The Universal Car", even though I like the look better than the repo signs have. Some search and I hope to find something a lot closer. Time will tell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:08 am:

Jerome, that image looks much better than what you have posted, as far as I'm concerned. In my opinion, your original design is is too tall and not wide enough. I think you need to refine it a bit to make it look more like the picture. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

Dave, I whole hardly agree. By luck when I printed off the jpeg and made it large the distance from wing tip to tip is 10 inches so it will be an easy figure for my new dimensions. I would still like to get some dimensions from an original sign not a repo. A could also use a good picture of the type font used on the bottom, having trouble finding a match.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 05:46 am:

Jerome, keep it up. I think you are on to something very cool! :-) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration