Tiny one third scale BBR RAJO engine runs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tiny one third scale BBR RAJO engine runs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Many of you know Howard Genrich for his world famous Lucky Seven Speedster, leading of the pledge of allegiance at our Model T Club meetings and hander outer of M and Mís for meritorious machinations. But do you know him as Humble Howard who lurks in the background doing good deeds and striving for excellence in order to make this Club a thing of class and envy of other car Clubs ?

It is a little known fact that Howard was a Science teacher back in the day and has a very fertile mild. He is up on all things new and is an avid reader of periodicals and scientific journals. Howard recently read of a machine that can scan an object as it revolves and reproduce it in three dimensions. The machine scans the object and takes picture as it revolves in a cage and has x-ray vision so scans what is hidden inside. The machine then squirts plastic into an internal chamber and makes an exact copy of the object put in the machine to copy.

To see what a brilliant man Humble Howard is; when our Club Historian and Web Master John Bowman brought a three dimensional printer to a Thursday meeting last year, Humble purchased a larger one of those printers and started making this little quarter sized engine in order to have the parts cast by a very talented friend of his who is a licensed tool and die maker.

Humble Howard being of sound mind and body did the math and figured the percentage of the shrink factor of cast iron and aluminum as well as brass and mild steel and has duplicated an exact copy of a RAJO BBR engine complete with the transmission. He is also working on a quarter scale model of the Ed Winfield two up two down engine although he is having difficulty with crankshaft balance, more on that in another story. In the picture below you can see the tiny cylinder head and also his two up two down crankshaft for his next project.

Howard has completed the assembly of this tiny engine and it runs very well. The only issue was carburetion but Howardís good friend Frank Harris got him a small carburetor off of a lawn edger. Itís a down draft carburetor and Howard hates down draft carburetors but it makes his engine work and very well at that so Humble is forgiving Frank for the updraft Ė downdraft thingy. He could not make a tiny starter for it so has to crank it with his finger much the same way that a model airplane engine is stated.

Howard is going to bring that engine and run it on a table at the April Club meeting on April 13th after Cheryl Guacci demonstrates the History of sewing and Fashions in Model T Times. Donít miss this double header and bring the ladies too. Isnít this Club great ?

tiny BBR RAJO

tiny RAJO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

Wow. That is VERY cool. As an avid model build years ago, I can appreciate the time that must have gone into that. I also would be willing to bet there is ALOT more money into that engine than alot of us have into our full size ones.

Reminds me of the Conley 1/4 scale V-8 engines.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 04:46 pm:

Wow is all I can say.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Penserini - Sacramento Calif on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 05:51 pm:

That little hand cart comes in handy too ! I think Frank is giving us "dated" material.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Now Frank, would this be an April Fools joke by chance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Frank, if Howard could make the 1/4 scale generator that is on the engine, why couldn't he make a starter? Methinks there is something fishy going on here!:-) :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

APRIL FIRST!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

Damn, the Aprils fool is me. I just went back and looked at those pics again. There is alot wrong that I see.

The thought of it being real though is a nice thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 02:26 am:

That the way it is

red herring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 04:58 am:

With all the clever scale modeling going on it was believable to me. The "Smokstak" site shows some fantastic scale projects. I remember Edgar Roy's 1/6th scale Simplex s that he built in the 60's which actually ran: http://forums.aaca.org/topic/161797-1911-simplex-in-miniature/
There are some scale 4-banger and flathead V-8's that run.
Thanks for the fun Frank.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Griffin in Brea, CA on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

The Shriners are going to be disappointed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

in fun once a year

happy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 09:23 am:

I've always been most impressed by this story of miniature car construction - and this one is real!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeUMDY01uUA
http://mps-sportproto.com/en/historique.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

I bet this guy could actually build it for real.

http://cars.barcroft.tv/dwarf-car-museum

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration