Split rim questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Split rim questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Been trying to mount five 4.50 X 21 tires on split rims. Don't know how I did it but, so far, I've done 2 of them in a week. The tires and tubes are brand new. The others seem happy to stay as they are. I've tried ALL the methods in the youtube videos there are and I have a good split rim spreader---look at the picture and you can see that it's almost closed but that is as far as it wants to go. One method I used I saw on the mtfca site and the guy used 2 X 4s that had been cut to fit inside the rims and he used a jack. Well, I have tried that and bent the rim, I have tried the spreader in every position that it can fit on the rim and I also tried a local tire shop. The guy in the tire shop is about 6' 4" and maybe 240. He couldn't spread the rim either. I just tried again after leaving the tires out in the sun until they were so hot I had to wear gloves. And I did use LOTS of baby powder. Any suggestions, or chuckles, are appreciated. Thanks. PS: The rims are old and came off an unrestored '25 Tudor and I'd like to use them because they have been on the car for over 90 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

I know you said you tried other positions with the rim spreader but where you have it now wont work. Try positioning it with the one end at 12 o'clock assuming the split is 3 o'clock and the other two arms of the spreader at 5 and 7 o'clock. Then make sure the tire is compressed a bit towards the center of the rim. If that is not enough then put a large screw driver between the two edges of the rim with it spread as far as the spreader,will make it go and lever them past each other.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 05:49 pm:

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that again and see what happens.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

Sent you a PM John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Thanks Adam, got it and replied. I'll see how that works. In the meantime I did adjust the rim spreader as suggested---see picture---but only bent the rim. Also, you can see this is a different rim than what was in the other picture.
I think I'll start over, remove the tires and tubes, see how rough the inside of the rim is and try the Ruglide you recommended. I'll get there sooner or later. I like to do things the hard way first.Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

you might have a rim spreader too small. That one looks like it is cranked all the way out. Those tools come in different sizes.

Yesterday, I helped a friend install 5 tires on his rims. They were new tires and they were sitting out in the sun and quite warm. We had two different rim spreaders and one was too small. It wouldn't spread the rim far enough. The position shown looks about for installing the tire and the opposite direction for removing a tire.

The old tires had been removed at an earlier time. It took us about 2 hours to install the first three and about 1 hour to do the next two. The first one took the longest, but we got a system going.

Anyway, If the hook won't extend any farther, your tool is too small.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

From this end of the computer screen the rim end with the tab on it looks like its bent inward just a bit.
It doesn't look like its circular in comparison with the other. I hope its just the way I'm looking at it and not your rim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

Here are pictures that might be helpful.Rim spreaderRim spreaderRim spreader

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

John, I suspect your rim has been bent, as John noticed. It may well have been as a result of your efforts unfortunately. If you look closely at your second post photo, you will see recently disturbed rust along either side of the split. Many split rims are rusted thin at this point, because that is where the water gets in. The edges of the rim are weakened, sometimes enough to blow the piece right off. If you can get it spread far enough you may notice some mis-alignment at the join.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 03:55 pm:

Adam, I really appreciate your suggestion to use the product "RuGlide". It's pretty slick stuff and I got two of the tires mounted on the car in about an hour. Got it at NAPA and it's a lot slicker than baby powder. Thanks again,

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration