Installing gas tank into 26/27 modelT r/up

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Installing gas tank into 26/27 modelT r/up
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Hi Folks .could someone please tell me how to install the gas tank into my model T , I have tried allways and just can not get it in there must be some nack of doing it, .Its the rite tank for the car. Cheers Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

tip the back in first and pry a little on the dash. Put your right windshield post on first if you are assembling the car. You can't get to the bolts with the tank in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Hi Don many thanks ill go out and try cheers Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

If I remember correctly I had to loosen the dash screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 12:21 am:

Hi I think you may be rite ,I tried the above and couldnt get it in. So the dash screws will have to be loosend ,thats a pity as it is all newly painted..Cheers Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 05:05 am:

Hi back again still no luck, if I took the body off the chassis would the fuel tank go in with out any trouble then .Cheers Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 05:52 am:

Just installed a new tank in a 22 touring.

I purchased the tank some months ago and had been thinking the problem through since then.

It took two hours to undo the securing bolts of the home built 5 gallon tank and just a further 30 minutes to install the new tank.

Now to solve the problems of the leaks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 08:30 am:

On my 26 RPU I took the dash out to get the straps hooked. Tank would go in without straps in but couldnt get straps in with tank and dash in place. Tough to get to dash bolts with tank in but doable.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerald Blair on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 08:42 am:

I had to remove the dash panel and the tank will go right in with on problem. You will need to unhook the battery and remove the switch so you do not ark anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 09:30 am:

Yes, remove dash. Install tank with sediment bowl and overflow drain tube remove. Install tank with straps out. Straps then connect at the top and run threaded ends through holes in firewall and install washers nnd nuts and tighten. Reinstall dash, sediment bowl and drain tube.

As stated above, install windshield bolts prior to tank installation. And good time to inspect under dash for any rust treatment or repainting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 10:02 am:

I'm in the process of replacing the tank in my 27 coup. Ended up loosing the dash in order to get at the straps. Much easier with the dash pulled back...supported the dash hung from the windshield slide arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Stillson on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 10:17 am:

Yes, loosen the steering wheel to lower it, take the screws out of the dash and tilt, take the ignition switch out and hang on the floor, say some STERN words of encouragement to the gas tank while trying to slide it in. It took the help of my father in law to align the fuel pipe through the fire wall. Lastly the straps have to be bent flat to attach at the top and bend into shape around the tank for installation. Do not forget to make sure the strap padding and top of tank padding is in place. Since I have a distributor, I took the opportunity to weld in some mounting studs for the coil bracket when the tank was out.

Have fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 11:27 am:

It was a major project on my '27 Touring. I wound up having to remove the choke/mixture rod, the instrument cluster (such as it is), and the steering column. I'm still trying to convince myself that the in-dash tank is an "improvement" in the improved car. I was able to attach the straps to their hooks with the dash in place, but it was not a fun job to install the tank with the straps attached to their hooks. I hope that I never have to pull that %^@!?? tank again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

I think the couwl tank is an improvement only if you are going uphill. The tank is always higher than the carb, regardless of fuel level.

As to the ease of service, well, that's another story.

I do like the under the hood shut off on the sediment bowl without a secondary one installed or climbing under the car to do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Maybe a clue here ???

text/html
gasTankRemoval.html (29.5 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

I remember seeing a post in the last month of pictures of two tanks side by side. There is one bigger than the other. I don't know whether the Tudor is bigger than the Roadster or if it is difference between 26 and 27. But you might have the wrong tank. Was this tank in the car before? I have restored a 26 Roadster and a 26 Touring and as I remember I installed the tank before installing the dash. Can you tell us more about just where the interference is when you try to install your tank?
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

Try this link
Norm
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/735800.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Hi Folks, Just got out off bed ,and to find everyone here has been so helpfull with this problem of mine, so i will now go out and have a another atempt to install once again a big thankyou. cheers GERRY(NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Hi folks .well the tank is in ,not as easy as i would have hoped.I will say never again, And yes i have learnt new words too. Many thanks to you all you are a great band of men. Thankyou. Cheers Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

Hi Gerry, happy the tank is in. A friend helped me install a good used replacement tank in my 27 coup today. Make sure you do not get the straps with hooks mixed up.....they are shaped slightly different. With 2 people it was easy. I had previously removed the dash from the steering but left the switch/wiring connected. Also, had to remove the two windshield trim strips in order to slide the dash back. Was fortunate that the old screws came out with out too much trouble.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration