Are these aftermarket front leaf springs?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Are these aftermarket front leaf springs?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

This is a question I never thought to ask until now. My '24 Touring has leaf springs with bumps on the ends of the individual leaves, each one with a hole in the top. I assume that that is so you can oil the springs. At least I hope so, because that is what I've been doing!

I take it that these are aftermarket springs? Can anyone tell me anything else about them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Yes they are. No doubt those cavities held an oil soaked piece of felt. BTW, your shackles are aftermarket also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Larry,

I know that the shackles are aftermarket. I replaced them and rebushed the springs and perches myself and opted for the cheaper ones :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

If I owned those, I would machine some urethane "buttons " to fit in the recesses. Should make for a nicer ride
The same concept is used on the rear springs of my 67 F 100

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

I have two sets of those and have always assumed that they had a leather insert, but perhaps it could have been felt. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

Cameron, I notice that you are from OKC. Are you a member of any Model T Club? I would like to invite you to join the Oklahoma Special T's. Perhaps you know our treasurer, David Baker. He lives about a mile or two east of Tinker AFB on east 15th. He has more Model T's per acre than anyone I know. Our next tour will be at Waukomis on April 22nd, and will include a picnic at Phil Burfords farm. On May 6th we will be touring from Ponca City to the Pawnee steam tractor show. Contact David Baker for membership information if you are interested. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Saturday, April 01, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Eddy,

I am not a member of any local T club, but I would sure like to be!

I'll have to contact him.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration