OT Oroville Damn (David Dewey)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Oroville Damn (David Dewey)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 05:03 am:

I haven't seen anything on the news lately(surprise!)about the repairs to the spillway on the damn or the upcoming snow melt. David, do you have any updates? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Hmm, it's the biggest mess by a dam site!
Right now the lake is stable, however, the weather is warming up considerably and we have a record amount of snow out there, with rain predicted for the next weekend (but apparently just us up north, not for Bakersfield). They have done temporary repairs to the main spillway to hopefully prevent the water from cutting back towards the main spillway control structure, and have put down rocks and concrete at the base of the emergency overflow (which the press calls an "Emergency Spillway" but it's not really a spillway, it just a concrete capped area lower than the dam itself to prevent the dam from ever having water go over it. They have clear most of the debris from the riverbed so the powerhouse can run water too, to help control the lake level, which (last I heard) is no 60' below the top of the dam, the "normal" place for it to be in the spring to control snow run-off.
They are still running lots of concrete trucks, although I haven't seen rock trucks lately. The whole construction area is hard to get to now, as the roads in have been closed off--one of the main routs was so heavily damaged by the trucks that they have had to rebuild it and it is now labeled "Resident use only!"
They are talking about the spillway repair design being ready this month and that it will be operational by November 1, although right now they have to keep it somewhat operational in case the snow melt becomes too much. The hope is that by May they can shut it down for the "dry season" and really go to work on it. It has been estimated that they have spent about $4.7 Million a day on this.
Real Estate folks are claiming the real estate is now booming in the area--I guess, as P T Barnum is credit with saying, "Any publicity is good publicity." However, MANY empty store fronts and shopping center buildings abound.
So, that's it in a "nutshell."
Y'all T'ake care!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 11:51 am:

If it isn't the drought it's something else.
Take care David.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

David, thanks for the update. This has been on my mind but the news folks have long since moved on to other topics (squirrel !!). Hoping for the best !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 12:32 am:

Glad to help out, yep newsfolks have AADD!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 12:37 am:

Face it, natural disasters are nothing more than annoying distractions
for the media. They would much rather just rip on the non-Dem politicians.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 05:07 am:

Thanks for the update David. If it's not too much trouble, maybe you could keep us informed on the progress from time to time. It's for sure the media won't, unless there is a catastrofy!!! :-( :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 05:09 am:

catastrophy. Don't know how that happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 01:21 pm:

Will Do David, and I think you spelled it right the first time!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Spell check didn't like either one, so I figured I would use both. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 05:01 pm:

Did the cat take control of your computer?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration