Noisy Bendix

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Noisy Bendix
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Just put everything back together after a fresh engine rebuild. I broke the crank in September. First time tried to turn it over, I had a clanking, sounded like the starter. Pulled the Bendix cover and cranked it, no noise. This tells me the Bendix is hitting the cover. Pulled the Bendix apart, and put it back together, still noisy
Took out the bolts holding the starter rocked it loose, and put it back together, figuring it may have been off, no change. The starter, Bendix, hogs head, all 1927, and came to me as a unit, and have worked fine together for me for several years. Why an issue now? Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Something is causing the spring to be 'off center' just enough to hit the Bendix cover on one side.

If you remove the Bendix cover you might can tell which side is the high side by watching the Bendix as you crank the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Some of the repro Bendix bolts have heads that are too tall and can hit the inside of the Bendix cover. See this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/249113.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

bent starter shaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Wilson - Omaha NE on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

Found it - the inner bolt was loose one half of a turn. Never would have thought the clearance was so tight. The spring looks like it is brand new.
The brand new fresh engine started surprisingly easy for me, and I can already tell a difference in vibration with the new Scat crankshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 04:57 pm:

Glad you found and fixed the problem, thanks for checking back in. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration