Something Seems Amiss

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Something Seems Amiss
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

The tailpipe seems too close to the body.

The wrapped muffler itself seems too close to the rear floorboards; they get hot.

Something's not right, but I can't figure it out. If more pictures would help, tell me what shots to take and I'll get 'em posted.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Eastwood on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

By the looks of it, you an '11 or '12 body, so it should have the curved tail pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Peter, you're right; it's an '11 body.

I've thought the curved tail pipe may be part of the fix, but the rear floor boards getting so hot baffle me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

That is why they used asbestos originally. The junk they sell now to replace it doesn't do the job the wrap was originally intended to do. If you think it is a fire hazard you might want to put a piece of tin over it with a slight air gap between it and the floorboards.
When I did my speedster as a '14 there was barely a fingers width of space between the tail pipe and the spring and I was
certain they would clash but 3 years of running later all is well so far.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

What about wrapping the muffler in the stuff bikers use on exhaust pipes? Just a thought for safety- granted it won't be historically correct but may save your floorboards.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration