Oil leak

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Oil leak
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

the bolts on the inspection cover of the oil pan. what are you guys using to stop these bolts from leaking all the floor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

Slightly loosen, wrap with cotton string, then tighten.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

Ultra Black RTV is good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

When it stops leaking it's time to add oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 10:38 am:

It did, and that`s what I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 10:48 am:

I just smear a bit of black RTV on each bolt and screw it in. It coats the threads and around the head of the bolt. Seems to hold very well and does not harden so the bolts can easily be removed. I've seen others use small copper washers and I used to use cotton string, but find the RTV is the easiest. It also works in that difficult area where the hogs head, the block and the crankcase come together. If I find a leak there, I use some solvent(lacquer thinner works best) I wipe off all the oil and grease and then loosen the bolts a bit and smear RTV trying to force it into the crack where the crankcase and other parts come together, then tighten the bolts. That will usually stop a leak in that area.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 10:50 am:

I agree with Steve. Use the Ultra Black RTV...the one that says "maximum oil resistance"..I could be wrong, but I think there's another RTV black version that isn't. Just the same, when you install the cover with the goop, wait overnight before adding the oil. It needs to cure before the intrusion of any oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Blue RTV was used on my Liz, when I pulled the pan I found it was rather "gooey" from contact with oil. It's too easy to have "slobbers" of RTV that might foul oil return. I'm trying a Permatex thread sealant for hydraulic connections, so far no leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Thanks guys I went with the Ford exhaust manifold gaskets with homemade sawed manifold clamps, with no leaks. I bought the black rtv next time I change the oil, I`ll try that on my pan bolts. Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

Has to be Ultra Black by Permatex or faster setting Right Stuff!! All the black RTV stuff sold is not the same.. CLEAN all oily surface before applying. I like the washers with the rubber insert on the pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Rubber o-rings work for one time tightening

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

The most overlooked cause for oil pan leaks is the oil pan itself.
If you will remove the oil pan lay it on something perfectly flat and straighten out the pan that will help a lot.
Over time the bolt holes become dimpled inward and concave from being taken on and off and overtightened.

You can use a medium sized ball peen hammer to flatten out the pan around the holes.

I've done this to my T's and it works. All I do is use some gasket sealer to hold the gasket in place and tighten up the bolts good and snug and that's it. No leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

John, that's sure true. The usual state of a T oil pan always seems to be "wavy-wavy". Thing is, even with a nice, flat pan, inevitably some oil will leak past the threads of the pan screws. It might be a good thing . . . keeps oil on the radius rod ball joint !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

Mine leaks at oil pan inspection cover bolts. here in a day or two I`ll dump the oil and use the black rtv, Thank`s again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Rick, fwiw, I also smear a thin amount of the black RTV on the block flange and the cover, not just on the bolts. No leaks! Forgot to add that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Completely restored my 1915 and it leaks like a T. Picked up a 1924 that hasn't been driven in 40 years. Filled it with oil and test ran the engine. It hasn't leaked a drop on my trailer in two weeks. It's got enough crusty, dirty, muddy, oil all over everything that it has "self sealed" and I'm reluctant to take the paint scraper to it. It's just fine the way it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Robert my when my '15s engine was rebuilt it got the treatment I mentioned above, other than the usual ball cap drips, the engine never dripped a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

When I told my brother that my T didn't leak much oil he said "Just wait till you drive it" Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

RTV will stop it. That's what I put on my motors. No leaks. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

RTV will stop it. That's what I put on my motors. No leaks. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration