OT - Maxwell owners - A forum for you!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Maxwell owners - A forum for you!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Sunday, April 02, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Just putting this out there to see what happens. I know there is the yahoo group, but it is not particularly user-friendly. How about a forum for the discussion of Maxwell cars? Take a look, see what you think, and send me a message or email if you have any suggestions. As I said, I'm just putting it out there to see what kind of interest there might be. It's easy enough to delete too.

http://maxwellautomobiles.proboards.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 12:25 am:

I signed up. As you may or may not know, I own the only 1912/13 Maxwell Model 30 touring car known to exist. There is (or was, anyway) a roadster in Wisconsin. It was the interim model between Maxwell and Flanders, still right hand drive with the T head engine but with a more modern looking body. It became a different car when they changed the engine to the Flint L head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 04:50 am:

Must be SOME interest. I just took a quick look at it, and it said there were two guests viewing at that moment. So, somebody besides me was looking at it at nearly two in the morning Califunny time!
I will look again when I have a better day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 07:43 am:

15 minutes after I started the thread there were 12 viewing, so obviously some interest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Thanks Rick,
I'll sign up. As most people might know; I have the only 1910 Maxwell-Briscoe AA runabout in Caldwell county TX. And I need to know how to press down on the accelerator pedal while cranking. Tired of using a brick !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

That is very good. I will enjoy it.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

I signed up. I have a 1912 Mascotte.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Less than 24 hours and over 100 guests and more than a dozen new members. There definitely seems to be interest in a Maxwell specific forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 03:05 am:

Badda-bump!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

George, adjust your idle mixture and there's no need for a brick. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

Keep your eyes peeled. In the next couple of months, I plan to launch an early Maxwell website. I'm still gathering photos and documents to make it informative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Me and my 1911 AB are now signed up! And to think I was stoopid enough to tell Rick that it probably wouldn't work based on the demise of the Maxwell website several years ago. Shows you what I know... ha! Good job Rick!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

I really hope these new sites can get hold and succeed!
Erik H, are you planning or working with Rick C on this? At least have the two sites link to each other?
I am sure Erik H is familiar with the HCCA and their links to related websites. I don't know how they feel about new sites being added to their "links" page. But certainly, I would recommend opening a discussion on their forum (I could start one there if you like? Let me know?). They do not have nearly the traffic we have here, but there are Maxwell owners that are not connected to model Ts that might find it there and not here. By the way, one of the chief moderators on the HCCA discussion forums is an occasional poster here.

Again, I hope these efforts for a Maxwell site succeed wonderfully! Owners of these fine cars should try to frequent the sites for the cars that deserve them.
I have "personal issues" the way both Yahoo and Facebook run their "sites". Sometimes I hope it is ONLY me, and these sites can flourish in spite of my personal issues with them. Sometimes, I am gratified to find out many other people find them to be "not particularly user-friendly". Maybe I am not as crazy as they keep trying to tell me I am?

A few months ago (very few), there was a new website begun for model T Fords in England. It looked really nice. I liked it. Several of our regulars here (including myself) signed up to it, and it appeared to have good chances. But I guess it failed. All I know, is that a couple months ago, I tried to sign in, and couldn't. Tried several times, for a couple weeks. Later, all my link I had used only got error messages, which have changed to indicate that no such site can be found. Anybody know if they moved?

Good luck, and best wishes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

So, here's the deal. Several years ago, a gentleman had a Maxwell website that had great information and photos. He lost interest and abandoned the website and domain name. He asked on the Yahoo Maxwell forum and nobody was interested in taking it over. Apparently, he lost interest in the hobby too, because he's not responding to emails.

When I get the site up and running, I want to have a usable forum as a component. I think that's where his site went wrong; he didn't have one. The Yahoo Maxwell forum has been the only game in town, until now. The Yahoo forum has helpful people following it, but the format is very cumbersome and slow loading. It has pretty low traffic.

I like Rick's setup, but I feel that the heritage of these wonderful cars deserves a stand alone domain, even if I have to donate a couple hundred bucks per year for hosting fees. I'm willing to work with Rick or anybody who can be helpful in providing accurate content about Maxwell Briscoe cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Eric... We would welcome your early Maxwell site!! And it looks like Rick has launched a great forum - at least it came out of the gate at 100 mph - so lets give it a chance to see what happens with it. I would suggest that when ready, your website be linked to Ricks forum, or visa-versa. What a great tool that would be.

I remember the website from several years ago. It was very stagnant. I would LOVE to see an active, and lively Maxwell website!

By the way, I am currently working with Jim Moe to try and help the registry evolve and come current with the times. Jim is doing much of that already, but we're trying to make it more easily accessible to Maxwell owners. So we have that in the fire too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

I was actually thinking that it would be nice to have an actual informative website...sort of an Encyclopedia of Maxwell history as a separate entity from the forum. It only makes sense. The forum is nice for active questions and quick responses, but known information, data, and history should really be captured in a devoted website. I have several websites that I've built for my own interests in various fields of antiques, but it is a ton of work and I was hesitant to commit to a Maxwell site since, honestly, I'm not an expert. I really know nothing about them except the small bits of info I've gathered in the last couple of weeks. So if Eric is working on a website, I would be more than happy to figure out some way to prominently advertise and link to it from the Maxwell forum. Really I just want to help out in any way I can, so I'm listening to the advice I get from seasoned Maxwell owners/researchers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 01:01 am:

I would think it should not be too difficult to work a couple websites and forums into a cooperative effort. Each could focus on various areas of research and discussion. I tried to get something like that going over a decade ago for Paige and Jewett automobiles. There was a Paige site, it is still around, but hardly changed and only slightly updated in more than ten years. He does his own thing on several unrelated sites and was not interested in any sort of a collaboration. There was an on again off again Jewett site. More or less the same problem. He has since died, and his family just let the site die. Someone else picked up the domain, but hasn't gotten very far.
Then, there was the Graham site. A very strange situation. To say the least. They seemed to embrace anything to do directly with the Graham brothers. You have a Coca Cola bottle or two on your shelf? WELCOME BROTHER!!!!! A '40s or '50s garden rototiller? PART OF THE FAMILY!!!!!
However, in spite of the welcoming words to Paige and Jewett on their home page? Sign in to introduce yourself and say that is what you have? hello? anybody home? I was never easily offended. But I saw it happen too many times on their forum, to several people, most of them with very nice Paige or Jewett cars. I never saw one that wasn't treated like an undesirable distant cousin.
I still have the Graham site bookmarked. About once every three or four years, I take a quick look at it. Didn't look like it was any better when I checked it last year one time.

I wasn't in a position at that time to put into a full website by myself. But I wanted to work with a few others to try and make it happen. Now, I am in a worse place.

Best of luck and wonderful success to all of you. Make it work. For Maxwell's sake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Cicciarelli on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

Bump

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration