Bill Hirsch Lacquer paint

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bill Hirsch Lacquer paint
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 05:07 pm:

Has anyone had experience using Bill's black lacquer paint? I have on old school car that needs repair and we would like to spot repair the car and not respray the whole thing. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Don't know about them but a couple of years ago I used Hibernia Restorations to get some lacquer to repaint a door on my 1910 Chalmers-Detroit. I sent them a paint chip that I managed to peel off the door and they matched the color perfectly. The paint was more than 35 years old and faded from exposure. If I did not know which door I repainted I would not be able to tell which one had been done. They bought all the lacquer from Dupont when they got out of the business and have a guy there who really know how to mix and match!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

Not black, but over 20 years ago I used Hirsch's nitro lacquer with good results. I guess he's still selling the same stuff ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

Isn't nitro cellulose black lacquer what used to be called industrial black lacquer? I do remember it would buff out really nice but that was 40+ years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

It's not clear as to exactly which lacquer we are talking about.

Lacquer is a generic term, refering to paint which dries quickly by evaporation of the solvent used.

There is both Nitro Cellulose and acrylic lacquers which have been used on automobiles.

NC lacquer is the 1920's lacquer, it is a really easy fast drying lacquer which as John described easy to use and buff.

Acrylic Lacquer came out in the 1960's it requires a bit more attention when preparing but is superior as a finish especially if exposed to sunlight. Given a choice when painting black I would use NC lacquer.

They each require different thinner.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration