True account of how the Model T sold itself

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: True account of how the Model T sold itself
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 06:22 pm:

I found this in a book of New Zealand and Australian historical motoring records, I hope you enjoy it much as I did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

What a great story....fun to read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

I agree, a great story. Clearly Vanadium steel helped to assure the success of the Model T, initially at least. One question though. I've read or heard that over time Vanadium steel was progressively phased out. Is that true? And if so was that made possible by advances in steemaking?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:47 am:

Trent Bloggs discovered the demise of vanadium steel when he reviewed the Ford purchase orders over the years of Model T production.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:51 am:

fun reading, thanks Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 01:38 am:

Nice find!
Thank you. :-)
"flimsy-looking"!
These tough little buggers being called flimsy...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:02 am:

Thanks for the comment Tony. Can we assume that a culture of continuous improvement meant that equally durable and strong grades of steel were developed over time and they replaced Vanadium? Or did the Model T lose some of that characteristic robustness towards the end?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

Model T's were more than "flimsy-looking." They WERE flimsy. Although they were tough as nails as far as dependability is concerned, the frame rails and front crossmember were flimsy. I have rebuilt many Model T's from the frame up, and almost all of them had bent frames. Most had cracks in the front crossmember. I have just begun working on a customer's very original '15 Touring Car, which I took down to the bare frame so I could fix it. Both frame rails were bowed toward the driver's side more than 1/2", and the passenger's side had a 1/2" sag at the crankcase ear. The only unusual thing about this car is that the driver's side frame rail had no sag. I guess it got pushed up when the collision occurred. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration