On the "state highway"near Prescott AZ-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: On the "state highway"near Prescott AZ-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

Looks like a cover shot on Arizona Highways

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

Hmm - is that a Metz bringing up the rear?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

No the cameraman is bringing up the rear! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

yes it is a metz, the car coming up the hill is a 09 or 10 overland. i think someone is going to have to back up,ha,ha. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 11:20 pm:

I didn't realize the Metz had DOUBLE chain drive aft of its friction transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

1910 model 14 two cylinder Buicks had dual rear chain drive. I have one in my collection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:13 am:

Gents,

The cars are something we all know, but let's revisit the word
"highway", shall we ? This is when the term was defined and I
would like to see it "enforced" in its original intent and get the
"highways" back to being built and maintained as proper roads
for pre-1930 cars to drive on !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Love their idea of a "highway"! Looks like no room for the oncoming car to get by! Wonder just what "highway" this actually is now...heck I might have traveled on it years ago when I was in that area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Could be the road to Jerome ? Pretty much any road out of
Prescott could have a background like this outside of the valley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:48 am:

There's still a road like that going through Bumble Bee on the way to Horse Thief Basin. For those familiar with the old Red Rider comic strip, those names are some of the places visited by Red and his companion Little Beaver.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Back when I was a kid many years ago in the early 60s the road to Payson Arizona was a two lane that took the better part of the day each way from Scottsdale.

Arizona is a great state to tour in a Model T most months of the year.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 01:17 pm:

I was fortunate enough to spend a couple years attending high school at Mingus in Cottonwood, Arizona.

I lived in Cornville ..... :-)
I used to cut class on a regular basis and go exploring the area around Jerome.

I went into many mines and found a lot of cool stuff.

Looking back now, there are many times I probably could've killed myself, but I think I would do it again !

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

Burger, interesting you mentioned Jerome, 'cause I thought that too earlier, just never thought to mention it. Kind of a neat little place, but definitely out in the middle of nowhere. Come to think of it, just about every place in AZ IS out in the middle of nowhere!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

Somehow I missed this thread when it first appeared.

I agree with Charlie that the car is a Metz, yet when I first looked at it, it just didn't look quite right. The occupants look too large in relation to the car itself. The car looks smaller than my Model 22. I finally realized that it must be a Metz Plan Car.

The Metz Plan Car was smaller than the Model 22 which followed it. It was offered in fourteen kits at $21.00 each to be assembled by the purchaser. It had an air cooled flat twin cylinder engine and the friction drive transmission that the Metz is known for. All Metz cars through the Model 22 had dual chain drive to the rear wheels. The Model 25 and later Metz cars had a single chain.

1909 Metz Plan Car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:28 pm:

Now I'm likin' that. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 11:32 pm:

Thank you for the correction. With all the touring I do, I don't think I've ever seen a Metz on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:21 am:

Hi Gil,

I am hoping to change that this touring season, moreover, I hope to improve the reputation of these oft maligned and even ridiculed little cars. "Metz, sheesh, how good could they be? They have a snowthrower transmission for Pete's sake! What a joke!"

Well, from what I have been learning about these cars (I have been studying the Model 22) they earned a decent reputation during their time period. They were entered in numerous hill climbs for stock vehicles and often came in first or second and beating some big name cars, sometimes even Ford (if any were entered).

A team of three Metz cars won the 1913 Glidden Tour, beating some prestigious cars such as Winton, Packard, and Locomobile. Two of the Metz team cars were shipped by rail to the starting point in Minneapolis for the 1,245 mile tour. The third car was DRIVEN from Boston to the starting point!

I am hoping that my expectations are not misplaced. I will keep you all posted. Bill

The Metz team which won the 1913 Glidden Tour:

(Message edited by bharper on April 08, 2017)

(Message edited by bharper on April 08, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:30 am:

Gilbert,

I saw a Metz make a 2500 mile trip from California to New Hampshire awhile back ..

Course that was in the back of my trailer ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 12:49 am:

The hats in Herbs original photo are interesting. It appears it's all men. Perhaps a posse! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 03:01 am:

OP picture. I just noticed (upon my fourth or fifth close look, that in the photo, there are two cars going one direction, and one car, going the other direction. With apparently no room to pass. Looks a fellow standing between the two lead cars trying to find a solution. The hillside cut leaves just enough ridge and ditch that there isn't much driveable space on either side of the road.
Maybe I should go look? The cars might still be there :-) .

I am undecided on whether the Metz is a late two cylinder plan car, or an early four cylinder model 22. I cannot see the front of the car (or front fenders ) well enough. The fender style looks more like the model 22, but could be a late two cylinder car. I can't see quite enough detail of the rear hubs/sprockets. Most model 22 Metz cars had a brake drum cast integral with the rear sprocket. The brake was very similar to a model T small drum parking brake, except that it was lined from new whereas the model T parking brake was unlined cast iron from the factory. About the first year of Metz model 22 production had a totally different multiple disc brake inside the hubs, similar to what the two cylinder plan cars had. The bare sprockets were bolted to the hubs, and had holes in them like a bicycle pedal sprocket used to usually have. I think I can see the sprocket is too thin for the brake indicating either a very early model 22 or a plan car based on the type of rear brake.

Bill H, I've got my fingers crossed! I have spoken with a few Metz 22 owners that drove their cars quite a lot, and loved them. One even altered the gearing on his car because he said it was too fast and made him nervous. Even after he slowed it down, he kept up with the model Ts in his Horseless Carriage Club.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 07:11 am:

Bill Harper - I'm really looking forward to seeing your Metz on the road. Will you be at either or all of BBC, Brass and Gas, Steve Bono's tour in NY state, or the Hangover?

Gil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 08:18 am:

Hi Wayne,
You share my initial uncertainty as to which model of Metz that car is. I concluded that it is a Plan Car primarily because of the small tool box, the seat support and the lack of brake drums.

Hi Gil,

I am signed up for the NE Brass and Gas Tour and look forward to inspecting the Metz at the Seal Cove Museum. Will I be seeing you in Maine? I hope to meet you.

Hi Jim,
Yes, those 2500 miles are more than that car has seen since the early 1970's. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 11:16 am:

I, too, am signed up for the B&G in Maine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration