Model T Rear Axle End Play

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Rear Axle End Play
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tucker Thomas Durgin on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

I have a 1927 Coupe the axle was rebuilt before buying it. I spoke with the very knowlegable previous owner. I did an axle check just to be thorough while working on rear wheels. I have no play on the Driver's axle however with a dial caliper I found that I have .020" play with the RH axle. I was wondering what the limitations are for the play if there is an issue that needs addressed or if it is fine. There is no noise, concerns or anything just the play that I noticed. I want to be thorough especially considering the importance the rear end plays in braking!

Thanks for the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tucker Thomas Durgin on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:40 am:

Bump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Tucker, Unless you were there when the rear end was rebuilt, there is no way to tell how good the rebuild was. The word "rebuilt" means different things to different people. To some "rebuilt" means to do a total tear down, replace everything that is not up to spec. and assemble to like new condition. To other folks, "rebuilt" means to "change the oil". It sounds like the previous owner may have known how to do a good a good job, "But" I highly suggest to open it up and inspect it. As to .020 end play. It is supposed to be .005 end play if all is well. The .020 end play is playing heck with your gear mesh. A good back lash for the gears is aprox. .012. I like to be at .015. It is impossible to say where your mesh is at anytime. It could be as little as .000 (zero) to maybe as much as .035. No really good way to judge it, because it is constantly changing due to the .020 end play. This may not be the answer you were wanting to hear, but I would open it up and re-set the clearances. have fun and be safe, Donnie Brown ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:29 am:

It may well be that the differential carrier is properly shimmed and your ring/pinion mesh is just fine (is the rear end quiet and not change sounds when going around a corner?)

the passenger slop is very likely simply the axle within the differential if the small "pill" shim between the axles was too thin. This is common. Will only affect spider gears when cornering. If the axle is quiet, I'd forget about tearing down. Simply monitor it for awhile. I'll bet nothing changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

There are two causes of end play. One is the thrust washers. Originally they were babbit and usually deteriorate causing complete failure of the assembly. The other is a small fiber disk between the ends of the actual axle shafts. If your end play is only on the right side, I would suspect the fiber washer. In that case, you might not have anything to worry about. Just continue to inspect it often for changes. If the play increases then would be a time to disassemble and repair. If both axles have play, I would suspect the entire carrier is moving which would lead to gear failure.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Donnie,send me a P.M.please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

Tucker,

I wouldn't worry about .020. It's most likely endplay within the differential carrier and not between the thrust bearings. If you want to check, you can remove the filler plug and stick your pinky finger, or maybe a small screwdriver, inside to touch the ring gear, while you have someone else work the endplay back and forth. If it's between the thrust bearings, you'll feel the ring gear move the same amount. I'm thinking you'll feel it move a bit, but probably not the whole .020. Even then, as long as you know there's not babbitt thrust bearings in it, and it sounds good going down the road, I wouldn't worry about .020.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tucker Thomas Durgin on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Thank you everyone! The previous owner said he used the Ford grooved bearings, removed the babbit and put in bronze I think he said or maybe brass. He said the bottom of the rear end was a solid clump of grease so he cleaned that out and inspected everything and re-assembled and set clearances. He said he did this 550 miles ago. He also had the engine rebuilt which runs great and is new, I saw when I tore the inspection pan off and it even has dippers on the rods and he put a new double coil magneto in it as well. The rear end I want to be sure is good to go especially since this June I am driving this car from North Carolina to Tennessee for the poor boy tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Tucker,

Let us know how your drive goes. I always like stories of long/longer trips in T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Yes. Bronze thrust washers were installed during the rear end rebuilt because the remains of the babbit thrust washers were in a clump on the bottom of the axle housings - not a clump of grease. Yes, the mag field coil is new but I'm quite sure it isn't of the double stacked version like I use in my '14. You see, I am the previous owner and drive train restorer. To increase the pep of the coupe Tucker, I'd suggest a 280 cam and Prus head. Your vaporizer should feed it OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

hey tucker im down the road from you a bit near pittsboro. what grease is in your rear end also how do you get the old grease out to change it. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tucker Thomas Durgin on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

George, I think I mistranslated what you told me into words due to my lack of not knowing the inside of the rear end.

Jerry, I will definitely let you know and will for sure post pictures and stories on here.

Philip, have we met before in the T club? I use a MityVac to pull the oil out of the rear end and put 600 Weight in it. Grease for grease fittings I usually use Lucas RED and sticky

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

We have not met unless at farm day at silkhopei would like to join a club are you in tarheel tees.?
The grease in mine is real thick like pudding
The rear is quiet and almost no end play. Philip

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration