Marvel mystery oil question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Marvel mystery oil question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, April 03, 2017 - 11:48 pm:

For those of you that use mmo in your gas tank how much do you use per tank. Will mmo stabilize gas? The gas we get here in California is oxygenated and has alcohol in it and it just doesn't last long. I was hoping mmo would help keep it fresh longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Scott, I would highly doubt that MMO has any effect over the longevity of any gas product. As to the use of it overall,...There may be some differing opinions here among the peanut gallery. :-) I admit to adding about half of what they recommend on occasion just to stir up the pot, and lubricate things that i can't justify need lubricated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:11 am:

When I was in living in SoKal with it's alcohol infused gas,I found the 4oz for 10 gals really caused my engine to feel polluted . 2ozs worked better and that's what I still use in this fine Non-alcohol infused Missourah awl squeezins
Geo.n Missourah.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:16 am:

Being that there is absolutely no benefit to adding it to your fuel then why bother?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Tim
I disagreed. There is a big benefit when using MMO.
The company hat makes it stays in business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:42 am:

I use MMO regularly, and change my oil every 500 miles. Never had any problems. I'm a believer.

Jon Crane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:43 am:

Thanks for posting this, we were way overdue for yet another rehash of this topic. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:22 am:

Jon- you could also add a teaspoon of vinegar to each tankful which, just like MMO, would also have absolutely no effect on your engine. So therefore you could swear by it's use also...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:26 am:

Tim -- It's great that you're here filling in for Royce in his absence. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:29 am:

And BTW, I put 2 oz. of MMO in my tank every time I fill up. The reason I do that is based upon my personal experience in using it. I could tell you about that experience, but there's no point since you'd just disagree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Scott,

Aside from other MMO debates, pro or con, I don't believe MMO will act as a gas preservative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Mike- what exactly is your personal experience in using MMO and what specifically leads you to believe that it has a positive affect on your engine?

Bear in mind that having a trouble free engine does not prove that the use of MMO is the reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:48 am:

Sorry Mike. I mainly just wanted to know how much to use if I were to use it. I heard that it may help lube the valves.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Since it blows right past the valves along with the fuel mix there's no way it'll lube anything. It won't preserve fuel any more than stability does. Or doesn't actually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:05 am:

From Marvel's website:

"How much Marvel Mystery OilŪ (MMO) do I put in my gasoline tank? Marvel recommends using 4oz of MMO for every 10 gallons of gasoline."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Again, from MMO website:

"Can I use MMO for winter storage as a fuel stabilizer? Yes, you can use MMO as a fuel stabilizer. Use 4ozs of Marvel for every 10 gallons of fuel."

Interesting that they also state that MMO is not compatible with Methanol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Donahue on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:16 am:

Wouldn't a couple of ounces of kerosene do the same thing? I'm thinking rust prevention here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:18 am:

The problem is this: If we use our own personal experiences to test the theory that MMO is good for the car, we will find that some Model T's will run just fine for a long time when using it. Other Model t's will have various problems with the fuel system or the valves or other parts. Those whose cars run good will swear that it was the MMO which caused it and those who have problems will say it was caused by MMO. Unless we could possibly test the same car in the same condition with and without the MMO we would not be able to prove it is what caused the problem. Then there is also the driver and driving conditions. Never exactly the same either. So, although this is an interesting subject, it doesn't prove a thing either way.:-):-):-)!!!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

If stabilizing your alcohol-infused gasoline is your goal, MMO may not be the ideal choice to do the job.
I like Star-Tron's enzyme treatment. _It works and is not particularly expensive.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-additive?category_id=587

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Marvel Mystery Oil is the cure all for anything related to a Model T. Bad bands, loose bearings, tapping valves, old gas and sick drivers.

A sore throat while driving the T was remedied with 1/2 oz of MMO rubbed on my neck .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

I always figure 30 days was a pretty good point at which you should either discard the fuel, or add some sort of treatment. Up until that point, I'm not too sure you need to do anything if you just shut off the gas valve and run the fuel out of carb after you're done driving it for the day. As far as treatments go, I prefer to use Marine Stabil (blue bottle). One big bottle at the start of the season goes a long ways for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

I put MMO in my lawn mower during mosquito season, as much as I can and still get it to run....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Old timers used a mixture of modified bituminous roofing tar.

(Boy I miss those roofing tar posts. Did anyone ever figure out who wrote them? I always suspected Ralph Ricks.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Marvel Mystery Oil adds strength, resiliency, and electric conductivity to bituminous roofing tar when used for Model T Coils. I have seen the scientific tests supporting this. Model T Coils rebuilt with the mixture of MMO and bituminous roofing tar are twice as good as those with neither roofing tar nor MMO.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

Jerry,

I always thought it was Ralph also. I miss him posting the picture of the guy with the big hammer anytime someone had an issue removing something from their car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

I don't think I have ever heard a suspicion stated that it was Ralph doing those posts? Interesting. I think I could see him doing something like that?
I may have disagreed with RR on a few things, but very much respected him, and his opinions. I am so very glad that I did get to meet and spend a little time with him. Anywhere he went, he made the world a little better place.

Ralph, the mysterious????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

I take perverse pleasure in the MMO "wars". The stuff gets a bum rap from detractors, it's a pretty good light oil, packaged under a different label it's used extensively as a regular maintenance item for air tools. It's slightly miscible in water, so likely it could reduce or eliminate water condensate and rust in certain instances.

I don't think it's possible to operate a Model T without having a few "Magic Black Feathers" to put one's faith in, which seem to help, but can't be definitely proved or disproved. My T will always break down on the road if I don't carry my lucky wrench . . . I can prove it !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

I can vouch for one thing about MMO is that it no effect on ALS. I doubt some of the other potential cures.

RIP RDR we certainly miss you here. Maybe someday we'll find out about the Tar poster. I guess I should have asked him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/103269.html?1251422017

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

Several folks have questioned the use of one product or another to avoid problems with ethanol gas. I guess my question is, "why use it in the first place". I have found local sources for non-ethanol and use it exclusively in all my collector cars as well as all small engines in my collection of yard tools. Some folks have access to aviation fuel and that is even better than what I use. I will use regular gas sometimes on tour but intend to burn it out prior to returning home. I also believe in the adage, "if it aint broke, don't fix it". The person I bought my Marmon from used MMO in every tank. I still do!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Mark S, Interesting thread you linked to. I don't have any real suspicions of who Hugh was. And although I have been curious for many years here, I never really cared a lot. I can't spend any time looking right now, there were many threads where the bituminous roofing tar was brought up, by Hugh (the regular irregular), and many others (usually paying homage to Hugh). I think I remember reading the one you linked to. It had quite a drift into fictitious names, offended a few, and enjoyed by many.
Hugh, or someone claiming to be Hugh, posted often, but did seem to understand Ts, and T people. Many of the posts had a comedic point, and were often well timed. Not all posts referred to the infamous tar. There were people that claimed to KNOW who it was, but never told. They were just some of the small details I enjoyed about this forum at that time.
I know several people that I know it was not. But I never had a serious suspicion of who it was.

As for MMO? I know people that use it. I know people that hate it. I think there are a lot of things to worry about more than whether people like it or not. Occasionally, I think that remembering some of the good people that have come along and gone in our world, is a good thing. Especially those that touched and helped improve many people's lives.
Gene C, So, you know this how? Did Ralph try some secret MMO therapy? You knew him as well as anybody (other than maybe his wife and family?).
RIP RDR

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

I use MMO only two ways
Pour cap ful down a cylender that got a sticky valve or fireing up an enhine thats been setting around for a long time .
Might add a cap full if i plan a long drive
Bought a gallon 30 years ago still have 95% or more of that gallon left

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

One thing I don't recommend based on my experience is adding MMO to transmission oil. Doing so caused terrible brake chatter coming to a stop using Scandinavian bands. The whole car would shake violently as the car rolled the last few feet when stopping. Had to change the oil a couple of times to get it so stop doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

I have never used MMO, and always thought it was just a myth that it helped. About 15 years ago, I was spraying thistles at the ranch with a Honda 4 wheeler that barely ran. I ran out of gas and the only gas I had at the ranch was about a gallon in the tank of my powered hang glider. I had not flown it for several years and the gas was 4 years old, it was mixed 50 to 1 with Belray MC1 2 cycle oil. I did not want to drive to the farm to get gas to finish a 15 minute job and as the 4 wheeler was running so badly, I figured that it would not hurt to run the 4 year old gas with 2 cycle oil in it. The gas did not smell bad and after I drove 1/4 mile to the gate the bike was running better. It did not quit when I got off to open the gate and never sputtered the rest of the job.
I could not believe how well it ran, and just to see if it was the oil, I mixed a new batch when I got home and put it in my wife's 3 wheeler which was running crappy too. By the time I got to the end of the driveway, it was running great, I was able to get into 4th gear for the first time in a couple of years and it would start with out having to use the enricher.
I use this oil in every carbureted vehicle on the farm and it has shown a substantial improvement 6 vehicles, a little improvement in 1 and no improvement in 2 vehicles.
Now by some people's argument, because it did not do anything for the 2 vehicles, it is a waste of time. But the 4 wheeler that was scheduled to go in for a tune up 15 years ago, never did and I am still using it with out any problems.
Charlie says it will not do any good as for a top end lub, I guess that the lead that was added to gas was just done to make it more expensive, because by that logic, it could not be of any benefit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

The one thing that adding MMO to your gas tank does...is rob you of power...nothing else. Might be a good additive for your oil, but isn't for your tank...even 2oz. of the stuff makes my car sluggish.

I don't know, but maybe it's good for cleaning up an engine, like using "Sea Foam" or something, but it's absolutely no good as a fuel additive, whatsoever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:25 am:

Scott,

If you like it, use it (follow the directions). If not, then don't use it. It don't get any easier than that!

Cheers,
Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:30 am:

Considering that since Ralph has passed, the "Tar" postings ceased, it does seem to be evidence or coincidence. He was a neat guy. We only got together once or twice, but it was a good time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 03:44 am:

David D, I had noticed that also. On the other hand? Ralph was extremely intelligent, opinionated (both politically, and in many other things), and he was seldom shy about expressing what he thought. I admired him for all those things (even though I at times disagreed with him), and I do not intend my comments to be disrespectful in any way. I do find it a little difficult to think he would be prone to humorous outbursts hiding behind a pseudonym.
Then again? Maybe he really was more mysterious than I thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 06:29 am:

Mark, thanks for that link. It sure brought back a lot of memories, both for the posts, and for the posters that are not posting any more or are not with us. I'm surprised at the number of profiles that are still current that aren't active any more. Yep, Hugh Jass was a hoot, as I realized later. It's a shame that the newer members missed those posts. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 06:35 am:

On the subject ....

I just used Seafoam in my fuel system and oil to help de-carbon my 7.3 PSD engine.

Lube guard is a good auto tranny additive.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:07 am:

If you drive the crap out of your T all the time you don't need additives, if you like MMO use it, Like Bob, I went the star tron route several years ago in everything that sits idle for a while and have had no problems since with 10% ethanol. .KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:49 am:

I just looked up Star Tron on a google search. It looks like a cure for whatever problem you're having. :-) I think I'll give it a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Don't give up on MMO yet, Mike! It's been claimed MMO whitens teeth, cures gout, keeps tires from going flat, polishes pistons and valves, cleans carpet, extends your vacation and makes a good fire starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 11:01 am:

Stephen,

Don't forget it's uncanny ability to shrink hemorrhoidal tissue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

I'm confused, as I often am. The OP, in his very first post asked those that use MMO to comment on the recommended percentage.

Why does everyone who does NOT use MMO feel compelled to comment on this thread?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

Hey Robert,
The OP did get an answer, although it was a bit buried in the comments from the "experts" who never had any experience with improvement (because they are so smart they will never try) Those of us who have used these mythical placebos with amazing results are inclined to tell about the improvement as it will help the smarter people who might give them a try.
When one finds something that saves money and makes life better, one is inclined to let other people know about it so other people can have a better life too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:31 pm:

Knowing how much to put can be tricky. Sure, it says 4 oz in 10 gallons, but you will most always have some gas left in the tank. If you have 2 gallons left in the tank and only add 8, you can't add 4 oz of MMO, you'll have too much! I feel it is best to pre-mix the MMO in a gas can. I then only fill my tank when it is low enough to hold the entire contents of the gas can. I always carry a graduated cylinder with me so I know exactly how much I'm adding to the gas can. Yes, there are little tick marks on the side of the bottle, but squeeze the bottle a little and watch what happens. The level inside gives a false reading. The graduated cylinder is much more precise. Just make sure to read at the bottom of the meniscus. And I always check the calibration inspection stickers on the gas pumps for the dates. I never buy gas where the pump's calibration inspection is out of date. This way I know I am getting the proper ratio of MMO to gasoline every time. I'm sure some people just pour some in the tank and fill it up. No wonder they get mixed results.

Also, I never add it to my transmission oil. NEVER! Only my engine oil and my gas tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:23 pm:

Robert- let me try to clear up your confusion...

There is an epidemic of misinformation that runs rampant in our hobby. I feel that it is important to educate folks with factual information so that good accurate instruction is handed down to the next generation of T owners.

Wouldn't we rather have people know how to correctly repair/maintain their Ts and not believe in the myth that a few ounces of kerosene (MMO) is all that is required?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

I like MMO, but not as a fuel additive. I have used it to free up three engines that were stuck due to improper long-term storage. Perhaps there are other chemicals that I could have used that would have worked just as well, but I used MMO, and it worked three for three.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

Tim,
No one said that MMO is all you have to do to maintain a T, I suspect you buy your gas at the cut rate station that sells the cheapest crap too. Chevron is one brand that has additives in their gas and I have found that it does not matter which part of the country you are in, it is always the same high quality, other brands not so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

All I know is that when I started using MMO in my 54 Ford NAA Ford tractor's gas and oil, it freed up the intermittent sticking valves and smoothed the engine up. BUT that's all I know and it doesn't hurt a thing. But what do I know. I'm not a self appointed expert.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

Robert B.,

Human nature. Do you use it?

I'm one of those who don't use it, but I'm also the one who answered the OP's question by citing the MMO website instructions. Is that o.k., or not?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:46 pm:

Tim, speaking of misinformation, MMO is NOT kerosene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

Gustaf- you couldn't be more wrong. I buy non-ethanol gas down the street from my house and I don't care what it costs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

Rich- my apologies. The big "secret" to MMO is mineral spirits not kerosene.

There you go, the cat is out of the bag. A little mineral spirits and that's all you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Smith on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

I just like the old can. Mix it with toluene and call it an octane booster,not that a T needs more octane. always a good thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

I hope that Scott got the info he was looking for. I dont always use MMO, but when I do I prefer two oz. Per ten gallon. Along with that I use STP, SEWING MACHINE OIL,GUN OIL, OLIVE OIL,COD LIVER OIL, SOY BEAN OIL,CASTEROIL,,TWO CYCLE OIL, BAR OIL,AND OIL OF OLAY! The ammount of each I will keep a secret. I put a little PALM OLIVE dishsoap in my oil to keep my hands soft while changing oil. I use DAWN dishsoap to clean up after oil change. How I use these oils are not important , but I use them. Oh and can somebody tell me which coil tester is the best and please give all opinions and facts and I will sort it out myself. Hope my info was of some help to someone somewhere.
If it runs,drive it
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

If you want a consistent mixture of MMO and gas try the firewall mounted reservoir with the metering device. As to the benefits, I say to each his own. I had a 37 Chevy that had been sitting up for years and would barely run. I revved it up to the extent that I could, poured a bit of MMO into the intake and when the smoke cleared did it again. Each successive dose improved the way the engine ran until it was pretty good for an old worn out 6. Now maybe kerosene, mineral spirits or cane syrup would have produced the same results--I don't claim to know---but I can't help but believe that the stuff has some positive effect on an engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Roughly the score so far:
"Does so !! " = 13
"Does not !!!" = 11
"So's yer ol' man! Nyah nyah ! = 6

sanely neutral = 22

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:27 am:

My dog ate my Craftsman 9/16" wrench! I put some MMO in his water dish and he crapped me a complete set of combination wrenches up to 1". As a matter of fact he'll still, on occasion, throw out a socket or two. Mr Marvel made some really good carburetors and some wonderful oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Am I the only one who liked the old can so much I poured the contents of the new plastic bottle into the old can just to have it on the shelf?

Also, FYI, A glow RC airplane engine will run on pure MMO.

One more useless addition to the thread.....My favorite use of MMO is to add to each cylinder of any engine That has been sitting a long time and I suspect has stuck rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:48 am:

That's not so uncommon, Mike. Same thing happened with my shar pei but the (s)tools were all metric!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

For anyone who likes the use of freeing up engines or using it for storage, a good substitute is ATF.

Judson-supercharged VW's used a MMO oiler that slow dripped into the intake to provide upper cylinder lubrication. You generally set the flow by just barely have smoke on light acceleration, or a jar every 1000 miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

"That's not so uncommon, Mike. Same thing happened with my shar pei but the (s)tools were all metric!"

Now THAT'S funny, right there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

John Manuel
Do not use cane syrup!!!
It will crystalize in the combustion chamber,act like fine sand, and mess a bunch of things up.
A bit like the opposite of lubrication.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

Drinking the juice that the syrup is made from can be a fine lubricant for the combustion chamber. And if you're not quick about it, it will certainly mess some things up. Probably won't provide any tool sets, though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Fred, every where I turn there is a difference of opinion. I was told by another fellow that 2 oz per gal and I'd have the sweetest running T around!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

John Manuel

Everyone has an opinion just like everyone has an --never mind :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

Fred, "an belly button* is grammatically incorrect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

MMO.... And nobody has even mentioned 'Water Pumps'. Disappointing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Wonder which product will be on the bottom of the pecking order next. It always seems to come around when there's a full moon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:17 pm:

I've been thinking about getting a dog.

If I do so, what breed will produce the best British Whitworth tools?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

I LOOK AT THIS QUESTION IN THIS WAY, WHEN MIXING YOUR GAS FOR THE CHAIN SAW WHAT WOULD THAT LITTLE PISTON DO WITHOUT THAT LITTLE BIT OF OIL.THAT ENGIN STARTS FROM ZERO TO SEVEN OR EIGHT THOUSAND REVS [COLD]IN A MATTER OF A SPLIT SECOND.USED IN A SMALL AMOUNT IT CAN DO NO HARM.I DRIVE SEMI TANKER FOR GULF OIL AND WHEN FUELING IN SUB ZERO WEATHER I ADD I QT OF TRANSMISSION FLUID TO BOTH TANKS[THEY HOLD 55 GAL EACH]MY ENGINES ARE TWO CYCLE DETROIT 318'S,AND IN THE CRANKCASE IS THE WORLDS BEST--SHELL ROTELLA 15-40.YES YOU SEE RIGHT!!I DRIVE FOR GULF OIL BUT ITS MY TRUCK,IN 33 YEARS IVE NEVER HAD ENGINE FAIL BECAUSE OF A OIL PROBLEM.WHAT SOLD ME WAS IN 1963 I HAD A 275 DETROIT AND HAD 140 THOU AND I UP GRADED INJECTORS N65S TO N70S AND I COULD NOT BELIEVE HOW CLEAN THIS ENGINE WAS,I WAS LEASING THAT TRUCK AT THE TIME,KELTON MOTORS OWNED IT ANS SERVICED IT WITH SHELL ROTELLA SO PUT ME DOWN AS A BELIEVER THAT EVERY LITTLE BIT HELPS,THOSE OLD INJECTORS WERE FINE JUST WANTED A LITTLE MORE UMPH ON THE HILLS AND THAT SHURE HELPED.THANKS FOR LETTING ME ADD MY THREE CENTS WORTH.GREG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

Tim, any dog'll do if he's worth a whit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Raynor in Southampton on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

I am going to get my first T on the road this summer and it will have shell rotella in the pan,and mmo in the tank. We have used this combination in Southampton's Fire Departments 1912 ALF, 1915 Model T , 1937GMC,1939 Ford,and 1941 Mack.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

Just drifting along, singing a song----

I wonder how many people reading this know exactly what a "whit" is?
Probably a lot more than in the general population.

And while we are nit-picking. How many know what a "nit" is?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

nit = might know what it is if you were in school in the early-middle 1900'sw;

whit = "mature" folks will know !

Wayne, we're becoming the forgotten generation.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Wayne, I went to look and I knew them both! I 'spose the point really is that I had to go look. :-/
A little bit and an egg! I use scoche (whit) but I've picked those nits (eggs) outta my scalp in the early 70's.
Oh crap. Dave's right.
The more I peruse this forum, the more trivial knowledge I need to teach my kids! Ugh. And they already know half of what I know. Took me ten minutes...
Shoot, my 24 year old daughter doesn't know what Laugh-In is. Haven't asked the other kids yet.

OTOH (on the other hand), I really need to get some MMO into the cylinders of the Twin City 17-28 out here in the yard to help free the original rings.

rdr is watching from the other side? I missed it. Great poster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

You can feed it intravenously!!

MMO Feed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

I thought the IV was funny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:25 am:

The IV doesn't appear to be MMO unless they've recently changed the color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:48 am:

All I can say is my father sold at first Richfield then in 1939 the name changed to Atlantic. I remember the Atlantic salesman
taking orders for grease oil whatever. In 1956
a brand new gray Ford V8 think it was Mainline
the fleet cheap one 'said Atlantic Refining Co.
on the doors. Anyway when he came he usually filled up with High Arc later called Imperial.
The sales man always insisted pouring a qt. of
#30 oil in the tank with fill up. He drove that
car into the 70's when retired. My memorys of those early Y block were plagued with sludge and ticking valves etc. But this Co.car ran like a kitten for the 20 yrs he was a salesman.
You be the judge........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:05 am:

When I joined the military after high school, I put my 54 Ford in long term storage in a barn located on a neighbor's farm.

My dad and the farmer sprayed the undercarriage of the car with used motor oil then, while the car was running, slowly added MMO to the carburetor until the car first smoked like a mosquito fogger, then sputtered and died.

Then we left the car in the corner of the barn for about a decade. After I returned to fetch the car, it took a few minutes of tinkering, but the old y-block fired up and ran great.

Don't know if the MMO quenching operation protected it any, but it didn't hurt it as far as I could tell.

I still have the 54 Ford by the way.

Funny little side story....I was stationed at Clark Air Base in The Philippines and got a letter from Mr. Curtis (the farmer) saying he'd backed a combine into my 54 Ford and had dented the trunk and that he was really sorry. I figured the massive combine must surely have really done a number on the car and expected to see a nearly totaled car. When I retrieved the car, there was a dent in the trunk lid about the size of a nickel. I loved Mr. Curtis and his family dearly and I've purposefully left that dent in the car all these years and always will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Samuel....the early y-blocks did have an issue with oiling in the valve train. They even sold external oiler kits for y-blocks to help with this issue.

So, that salesman might've been onto something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Don,

I liked you story. My '25 Touring has a dent in the right front fender caused by my dad dropping a water pump on it. I was just a little guy at the time. I have no plans to remove that dent either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Don,

I liked your story. My '25 Touring has a dent in the right front fender caused by my dad dropping a water pump on it. I was just a little guy at the time. I have no plans to remove that dent either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Sorry for the double post....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:59 am:

I enjoy these discussions of recurring topics. Somebody usually comes up with a really funny comment. Sometimes there are several.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 11:06 am:

I'm with Steve. Even if I didn't own T Models I'd still read this forum everyday just for the laughs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

I always liked STP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

Don,

On a similar note, I take my TT to Olar SC every year for a T car show. A fellow TT owner is always there. Older gentleman. Nice as he can be. Has a Jumbo Giant auxiliary transmission in his. There's always a parade the morning of the show. I was lined up behind him. He inadvertently had his Jumbo Giant in reverse and backed into me when starting off for the parade. He didn't even know he had done it until someone told him. Did I mention he was an older gentleman? It bent the nose of my left fender down and left a resulting dent in the center of the crown of the fender about a foot back. He offered to pay for the damage. Gave me his contact info.

When I got home, I took a hammer and dolly and got the vast majority of it out. The truck is not restored, so the minor damage you can still see just blends in with the rest of the "Patina". I never called him about the damage.

The next year, he was there, but not his truck. Said he had gotten too old to drive it. I had to wonder if it was due to backing into me, but I didn't ask. I felt bad for him. He asked why I had never called him. I showed him what I had done to "fix" the damage and told him I was not worried about it. That was two years ago.

Then this past year, he was not there. His brother was, and told me he had passed away. I was greatly saddened by the news. I always enjoyed sitting and spending the day with Mr. Jake. I did not know him outside of that show, but I always looked forward to going and seeing him. I will miss him. I don't know that I will ever fix that dent either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Hal...those (like you) who understand that this hobby is about the people (who smile because of your car, who you meet, who you befriend) are the ones who get it and always seem happy and fun to be around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

STP. Stay together, please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Willis nailed it!!

"Scott,

If you like it, use it (follow the directions). If not, then don't use it. It don't get any easier than that!

Cheers,
Willis"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Sorry Boys, it's all trash and if you ever put this junk in your modern you'd void your warranty then you'll hear swearing at and not for. I will NEVER understand why some guys just have to experiment on their collector cars and amazingly none of them has ever stated any comment here that would convince me to try any of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

I am as skeptical of all the miraculous claims for MMO as Ed Zern was of the Solunar Tables....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Rich,whats the score?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Hey, a quart of MMO and an Ouija board and you could rule the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Hal, never sure what was in the oiler? Never tasted it??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

Ha, ha ha, Dallas, I lost track since this thread likely has more posts than any other the past couple of weeks.Those who see a benefit will definitely stick with it, those who rave on that it's junk will never be converted, so here we go again ! I can't believe there's still interest in flogging this non-issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Sorry, my fault for BTT'ing it. I thought feeding MMO/? through an IV was funny!!!!! No one commented on my IV feed for a long time; so I BTT'd it. So it is my fault for bringing this post back to life. Spring is right around the corner in our country.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Chuck, no need to apologize as this subject comes up on a regular basis. I think its funny how some here get so bent out of shape over a simple additive that to my knowledge has never done any harm to any part of our simple little engines. It may be the epitome of snake oil, or it may actually help in some cases, but i see no harm in using it if you so desire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

I did own that car with the IV oiler on it. It was a nice car with Rocky Mtn brakes and a Ruckstell rear end. The oiler actually worked. Sorta miss that car :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

I've never tried it personally, so I don't know if it's good for anything. But I was looking for something that will unstick a stuck engine, and MMO kept coming up in every forum thread I read (here and elsewhere). Maybe that's all it's good for, because any use of the stuff in or around a running engine seems to get everyone's feathers ruffled, but it's time and again being recommended for freeing rusty stuff.

Just an observation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

I have this "theory". Actually, it's not just "MY" theory, as I've read of this before. It has been said that a very large part of total engine wear occurs during the time the engine is started up cold, until it warms up to normal operating temperature. I believe this to be true, and accordingly, I think there is some merit to any lube product that would tend to protect the engine as much a possible when first starting up cold. For that reason, I've always thought that if for no other reason, there is reason to use products (in moderation) like STP and Lucas. My thought is that they are somewhat "sticky", and accordingly, might tend to leave a bit of "sticky" lubrication on cylinder walls and bearing surfaces that could perhaps offer some protection that might prevent at least some of this "cold engine wear". (???) Maybe just all in my mind, but then again, can't really hurt. My thought is that MMO might offer the same type of wear protection to a cold engine. If so, again, sure can't hurt, right?

As an aside, I've noted that a guy that I believe to be pretty sharp on engines (Stan Howe) has stated that he likes Lucas products. How 'bout it Unca' Stan,....does this make any sense? FWIW,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Suppose that's vaguely possible about stp but I doubt it's any better than a decent grade of oil however adding mmo will actually thin the existing oil in the pan so can actually be detrimental to proper lubrication. Junk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 02:45 am:

I was told decades ago by a petroleum engineer that all STP was was a viscosity enhancer; by itself it has no lubricating qualities.
I do know I added to a Ch@@y 216 that was knocking in hopes I could keep it running. Well, it didn't and when I tore it down I had lots of thick gunk to clean out of the head's oil chambers--yech!!
I've never used it since!
BUT, that's just my experience. I did add an original MMO dispenser to that car, and it ran like a top and got the best mileage of any of my 216s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 06:41 am:

Many years ago, a good friend had a nice old Muncie overdrive in one of his Ts. It was a nice running transmission, but blew grease out everywhere. 600 wt just would not stay in. He had headed out for a national tour, expecting about 1500 miles total. The first day out, after putting another quart or two of 600 wt, he stopped at an auto supply, and bought a can of STP. Sticky slimy stuff it was. Into the Muncie it went. All that sticky gunk plugged up all the leaks. Made the rest of the trip without having to add gear oil. Didn't seem to harm the running of the Muncie any. He said it even shifted easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 08:23 am:

I had a bad 2nd gear sycro in my 47 Ford convert. I put STP in it. Once it warmed up it shifted just fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 09:18 am:

reading the forum spark's many memories,I worked at a ford dealership in the late 50's the ford car's in 54 came out with overhead valves and they were prone to oil delivery passage's plugging' my cure was to remove the rocker assy from one side and install a grease fitting 1/4" would thread in just tight enough to be able to pump grease[hand grease gun],you could feel the pressure get easy as the plug would go away.then start the engine on the other bank, it was fun to watch that worm work its way out of that oil passage.it seamed like it was the left bank that was the problem.they did have a out side oiler but not put out by ford.the cure was the replacement of the cam berg, there were two holes in it,one was just off enough to cover a portion of the supply line.i did many in my day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Richard,
Ahh, memories...Not only was the cam bearing on the "Y" block Fords a tad "offset", the oil galley into the head and up to the rocker shaft pedestal was way too small.
Any little bit of sludge or dirt would clog it and then your rocker arms would rapidly wear on the shaft due to a lack of oil.
I've replaced more sets of those whopped out buggers than I can remember!
I also remember the external oil line "fix" up into the valve covers with a brazed on drip-rail to lube the arms- crude, but effective.

Too bad nobody tried MMO as a cure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:37 am:

STP---there are those who believe this to be an acronym for Scientifically Treated Petroleum but I think it's Sticks To Parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 11:50 am:

The engine shop I worked in replaced the Yblock cams that had a groove around the journal with cams that had holes drilled through the journal, seemed to be a successful repair, I think maybe later cams were made like that. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

STP can be very dangerous.

Just Look at what Andy did to Mario

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 01:38 pm:

Just for information has there anybody had an engine lock up, blow up, seize, explode, jump up and down, wheeze, cough, spit, stop running, puke or whatever from using MMO?

Lots of theory been mentioned about this and that and was wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Friday, April 14, 2017 - 08:08 pm:

its like every thing John. too much of a good thing can be harmfull, I DO LUVE ALL DEM FOUDS,,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mystery_Oil

:-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 07:03 pm:

ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

It's on the internet, so it must be true - :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Oh no, MMO fatigue has set in! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

I usually just read these discussions. (and I like them) but I have discovered another use that the makers of MMO did not think of. We just returned from vacation and while traveling thru Mississippi we visited the town of Clarksdale and the "Blues" museum. Across the street from the museum was a nice "Juke Joint" to have lunch while we were there soaking up some of the local history. So sitting at the table waiting for our BBQ and southern fried "Catfish BLT" (yes it was all very good) I saw it. !!! Right there in plain sight for all to see was a "Marvel Mystery Oil guitar". It was a three string guitar made in the "cigar box guitar" style of a lot of the Delta and depression era instruments that the poor folks had to use. So that is just one more of the miraculous uses of MMO. :-) :-) Im with Mike Walker and the other believers who use it and really do not care if it works or not. And I do not even try to change anyones mind that does not use it, as it is a waste of time and futile effort to do so. But I really do want that MMO guitar ... have fun and be safe .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 10:03 pm:

That's just too cool! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Tuesday, July 25, 2017 - 11:00 pm:

Willis nailed it!!

"Scott,

Cheers,
Willis"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Not to keep "stirring the pot", but as I have stated before I use it when ever I put gas in any of my Ts (plus my lawn mowers).
I also recently acquired a 1926 touring equipped with the infamous "One Man Top" last December. With the help of Ken & Paul LeBlanc we went to West Hartford, CT to pick it up and trailer it home. Paul and I had everything we could muster to get the top down, in order to load it into the trailer. Once safely home in my garage I applied a small amount of (are you ready for this) MMO to each pivot point and now, not only is it a "One Man Top", it's a one arm top!!!!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 01:20 pm:

Warren,

Still pretty cool in NH I see. Does MMO combat global warming as well?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

My Dad always told me. It's not called a one man top because it only takes one man to operate it. It's because it only keeps one man dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven King on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

I have always found debates on the value of some snake oil that someone wants to put his A or T tank amusing. I have 26 touring, a AA, and 3 A's that I drive regularly without the addition of any stuff to the fuel system. I live in Wisconsin which has a down season and I still keep the fuel fresh in my vehicles by simply driving them. We are fortunate in WI though to have fuel available with either 10 percent alcohol or alcohol free premium. I burn both. I do fill the tank with fresh fuel in the spring and drive. What I have found helpful is putting STP in the oil can for oiling all the shackles and steering gear on the T. It doesn't just run out a bit down the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 02:56 pm:

Warren, that's great !! I don't think anyone will disagree that MMO has often been referred to as a "top oil" ! ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 03:26 pm:

Bardahl used to sell very small cans of what they called "Topoil", or, Top Oil. (....can't remember if it was one word or two.......)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

In the 50's I used Wildroot Cream Oil!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 04:47 pm:

Yep, "Bardahl did it again" ! Is that stuff still around ??
John, are you still using it that greasy kid stuff ?? Use Vitalis !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Butch Wax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

Vitalis made my cousin's hair fall out. He swears that's what did it. "Use Wildroot Cream Oil Chaaaarrrrlllleeeyyyy--they'll love to run their fingers through your hair!". Or "Bryllcream-A little dab'll do ya!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 05:33 pm:

Thinking about it and I have my commercials tangled up--oh well, talk about thread drift. It was "top oil" that got my mind wandering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Anybody used MMO on their hair ? Why not ? Couldn't be any worse than Vitalis, and it smells good . . .

The angels use it to polish the clouds!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/shimmer-floor-wax/n8625?snl=1

:-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 07:31 am:

Jerry VanOoteghem, I believe it helps my Ts run better therefor it does combat global warming as well. !>) I remember in my many travels throughout Michigan, I always like seeing those signs for Seven & Twelve Mile Road around Detroit.

Scott Lay & Rich Bingham, good ones!!!!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

I have freed up three engines using Marvel Mystery oil. It's great for that purpose. Other then that I cannot see any use for it. BTW - the engines were a Model A, a 413 Chrysler, and a 425 Buick. The 425 Buick (now 431) is what powers my tow vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

I use MMO sometimes as I feel I can't hurt. As to the ability to counteract problems with storage of ethanol, the question remains,"why use ethanol gas?". Are there places where you can't get non-ethanol? I live in a small farm community and can find non-ethanol in several local places. Why not try to fill up with non-ethanol when planning on storing your T. Solves most issues being reported!!!!!!!! Dick C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 07:02 pm:

Some people refer to it as top oil.Long long ago many overhead valve engines had no oil lines to the rocker shaft instead they had small pans with felt pads under ports in the valve cover to supply lube.some had no covers,only pans and felts.Truth or fiction?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Brown on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone add MMO to the coolant to lube the water pump?
Just sayin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Still waiting for a blown engine report caused by MMO--------------------------->

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Warrington on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 11:45 am:

What a great thread! May even awake Rip Van Royce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

Shoot!!!! I got all the way down to the bottom and forgot what the post was about.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Sunday, July 30, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Was it staples in the hat? (Through the hat?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 06:52 am:

Dave, I think you're on the wrong thread.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, July 31, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

I do not use mmo, but I do add automatic transmission fluid to my fuel, probably about a 1/2 oz per gallon of fuel. My T runs much smoother and quieter. It does nothing for fuel stability, nor does mmo. If you want a fuel stabilizer add sta-bil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

Staples go thru hats easier if you soak them in MMO for at least- but no more than- 12 minutes.

(Keeps your hat on with the top down)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Dale, your advice is frustratingly vague--should I soak the staples or the hat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

Dale, I'm with John on your answer, I found your thinking unclear in an unfocused or imprecise way. Perhaps you could elaborate on it a little more, it's causing my head to hurt.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 07:00 pm:

Sorry I've been a bit unfocused since I switched over to 1 inch staples from my usual 1/8 inch brand!
If you soak the staples in a dish, the hat in a pan, and your head in a bucket of MMO,
you will reap all the ALL benefits of this procedure!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Oh sure, now you tell us. My raffia is ruined and I have 5000 formally collated staples on the bottom of my pot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilbur Swearingin--Mt.Vernon,MO on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 08:03 pm:

So many have missed the point! The name says it all. It's Marvelous. It's Mystery Oil. You can't understand it. You can't analyze it. It's a Mystery and it's Marvelous. That says it all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, August 01, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

It does make the staples sting a bit but after the 1st 12 it doesnt hurt any more. Still doesnt hurt any less.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, August 02, 2017 - 07:05 am:

Dallas, funny I don't remember any of them hurting!!!!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration