SR Fronty comes home

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: SR Fronty comes home
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 02:24 am:

Always wanted one of these. I have had lots of Rajos and other hot dog heads but never a Frontenac, so why not go big time with an SR model? Serial #SR209. Got this from the legendary Fast Frank. I believe it's a Long Beach veteran racer. Here's the plan for it: about 15 years ago I pulled the engine out of my '13 speedster to put in another car I needed to sell. Well, life intervenes and the car is still sitting in the back end of the barn waiting for me to get time to build an engine up for it. I'm going to check this Fronty engine out and put it in. It's time to get something of mine back out on the road. I will have to have to upgrade the small drum Rocky brakes and change out the 3:1 gears for standard ratio. Might get it done in time for Lincoln.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 02:26 am:

I like it. What carb(s) will you run?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 02:56 am:

The engine came with a manifold with a single Stromberg 97 downdraft that can also be used for an updraft, and also a pair of bronze adapters to run a pair of carbs. I am going with either a big Zenith single updraft or a pair of smaller ones to keep the look vintage and still be able to put the hood on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:54 pm:

Eric,

I recently purchased a rocker Fronty from an old time collector in Fresno. Model A crank 2 down draft carbs a Nash 8 cylinder distributor firing all 8 spark plugs. Drilled crank and pressure oil. Not sure of the model I am picking it up after Bakersfield.

I see yours has the Stutz dual distributors that makes a very cool ignition system. Would like to see a better photo of the front cross drive.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:35 am:

I think this needs to go in that dump truck of yours !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:54 am:

I believe it's a elswise cross drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 03:10 am:

Erik

I think this is the car the Engine was in for the Shell Hill Climbs-Signal Hill in the early 1970's. Note how the Exhaust is made and the colour of the spark plug leads and the leads going to a front drive. Could be a Larue Thomas car.

Photo from Jarvis Erickson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:03 am:

I own the car and still have it along with the matching black one. Larue Thomas did not own the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:37 am:

Thanks for the update Mike.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

I believe the engine came from the LaRue Thomas estate along with our Gemsa engines. The Stutz ignition is mounted to a cross drive that I assume was meant for a magneto and also has an oil pump. I will get some pics up. That sure looks like my engine in the white car. I wonder how it got separated from it? What do you know of its history Mike ? Love those snap ring Buffalos. With the Fronty in my dump truck I'd be a real contender in the truck class at FAST meets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

I will have several pictures with me of my 27 coup with a S Frontenac. It has a 97 carb. Looking forward to getting it back on the road.
The car has been in storage since the early 70's.....it was from the L.A. area. I will be selling in spaces F15 & 16. Please stop in....I would like finding out more about the car "Who Did It". I think it is a great example of some things done in the 50's & 60's to make a T go.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:26 pm:

I dunno about this one but a lot of those Frontys ran dual Zenith HP5A's -- so I've been told. They will bolt right to the head ports but I would guess most of them had a balance tube or short risers of some kind. They have a vacuum port ahead of the throttle plate so that can be drilled very slightly and a tube run between them to balance them. Zoom Zoom!!!

That's a great find!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Stan,
Single port Fronty came with Zenith HP5A (which is 1 1/4" nominal size) as one of the available carburetors but not the SR. The SR is drilled with 1 1/2" nominal pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

A couple pics of the cross drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

Mike is the fronty still in the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

Hell, I dunno, I just know I've sold two matched sets of HP5A's for people who said they were going to run them on Frontys.

I've also sold several sets of HP4U's and A's for dual carbs setups on overheads but I dunno if they were Frontys or what.

As long as the checks clear I really don't care what they put them on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Wow I guess they are still around. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Wow, now I understand what envy is all about. Please keep us in touch as you continue with this project.

I wanted to go to Lincoln this year but my 37 year old son is graduating from College this year and I'm expected to make an appearance at a special shindig in his honor that Saturday.

However, taking my daily driver down for Thursday and Friday could still be an option.

I need to see some "real" speedsters and I think Lincoln might be my best opportunity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

Mike

It is not just the speedsters you need to see. It is what is in the Speedway Motors museum. Should definitely be on your bucket list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Thursday, April 06, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Dave,
I know! I had an opportunity several (30) years ago to go through the museum in the infield at the Indianapolis race track during time trials. I was on a business trip, without a camera and a guest of the owners of Gary Bettenhausen's car. I spent some time drinking a cold beer or two in Gary's motor home and fell in love with the young hostess working there. Just about the time I was going to profess my love to her one of the slobs I was with insisted we go out to the track and watch Gary go by at a couple hundred miles an hour. I never made it back to her or the motor home and have spent many evenings wondering what might have been. Of course my wife at the time might have gotten a little upset but, hey!

Since then I've always wanted to go back to a museum dedicated to speed and old race cars. And just maybe, if a certain motorhome showed up, perhaps my life would be back on track again.

Nah, she didn't even notice me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Friday, April 07, 2017 - 09:56 pm:

I built the black car first from a pattern I took off Howard'S car with a few changes. It has juice
brakes a spool rear end with cut down Cad axles with
safety hubs all ball bearings. I had a rojo powered T with a B crank. LaRue had this extra Fronty
powered T crank engine we put together and I built
the white car from the same patterns and put it in.
You have not lived until you have raced 2 cars at the same event. That is me sitting behind the wheel,
I have the original picture that shows more of me.
At the time the club was trying to limit speed by
tire size which did not work. The black car has
Dayton dental drive wheels. I still have the car. I still have several
overheads and sets of wheels.
That could be the engine we used, I do not know what happened to it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, April 08, 2017 - 05:11 pm:

Mike, I'm pretty sure the engine I bought from Fast Frank is the same one. He says it is from the LaRue Thomas estate. The steel tube headers sure look like the engine in the picture. It has a T crank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 12:14 am:

Eric,

just got home from Bakersfield and picking up my newly acquired "Fronty engine.

It is an SO dual intakes, all mounted on a 26/27 block, all powder coated black. The aluminum sump is polished aluminum. It has a "C" crank and pressure oil. Ignition is a 8 cylinder distributor powering all 8 spark plugs. 2 down draft strombergs on an aluminum intake. Exhaust is a megaphone style.

Just wonder if anyone knows any history of this motor.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Monday, April 10, 2017 - 11:25 am:

I would like to have seen that one. Does it have the Fronty cam drive?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration