Left front wheel wobble

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Left front wheel wobble
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:09 am:

I have developed a wobble in the left front wheel. There was also a noise like the bearing cage has started a come-apart. I found these marking and not sure what they mean. I want to make sure that I get the correct wheel bearings to finish this project.
Any and all idea are welcome.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:49 am:

The markings are a mystery to me too. If the spindles haven't somehow been altered, these are the bearings:

The best prices I've found are at Rock Auto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:55 am:

Definitely time for new bearings, especially the inner. Cured my wobble on my '20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Steve, if that spindle is on the car in your profile photo, it is the wrong one for a 26-7 T. I understand the T superimposed over the W forge mark is found on the early spindles. These will not have the two flats on the inner end of the spindle which will allow the bearing to be driven off. Also the spindle height will be wrong.

None of this applies if the profile pic is of a different car.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

It is the car in the picture 26-27 touring.

Allen, Do you have a picture of what you're talking about. Now I am a little worried.
Any idea what would work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

This handy ref. is useful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Steve, other than perhaps locating two correct spindles on the forum classifieds for your 26/27 T, now that you have the above pic for reference, Langs often has them for sale. These spindles were designed to lower the car a couple of inches. You can see how the spindle on the 26/27 is set a bit off-center as opposed to the other two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Steve, Dan's photo shows the correct 26-7 spindle. Notice the flats on the inboard end of the 'axle'. These allow you to use a drift to punch the bearing off the spindle. On the earlier cars there was no relief to get a punch onto, and it made removing the ball bearing races difficult at times. Of greater concern to you is the different height of the 'axle on the spindle body. The 1926-7 spindles have the 'axle' higher on the spindle body, in effect lowering the front of the car somewhat. If you have a mix of spindles on your front axle it may be a contributing factor in you wobble problems.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

Here is a picture of my left and right spindle.
They look the same. But it seems that I might be in the market for the correct set. They look like they might be wrong, but both are wrong so I can use them as is until I get correct set?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

It appears both your spindles are 19-25. All that means is that the front of your car sits about an inch higher. As Dude said, "It don't hurt the runnin' of it none." The grease fittings are a home made alteration. Also no problem other than being "incorrect".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Steve, as Mr Jelf says, your two spindles are the same. However, they do appear to be the correct ones for your car. The 'axle' part looks to be offset to the top of the spindle body, whereas the earlier ones are set in the centre of the body.

I was unaware that the TW forgings were still being used in late cars. Something new learned today.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration