Bakers tire recapping-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bakers tire recapping-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:53 am:

I imagine this is a Model N Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 08:59 am:

Odd costuming?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:17 am:

I tried to find out about the Easterday Motor Co and the Easterday name is still around the Illinois area. Their is a Matt Easterday PHD who is an assistant professor at Northwestern. There was another Easterday who in the '20's patented embalming fluid but I can't find the Easterday Motor co.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Cyrano buys all his recapped tires from Baker. But how about now? Does anybody recap tires anymore?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lenney Glenn on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:28 am:

I like it.I have enough spare tee parts to build something similar. What would I have if I did so with everything stock except a high compression head? Parts range from about 17 to 24. The photo appears to me to be earlierly than the tee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:14 am:

My old eyes aren't as good as they once were but don't those horns look like late 30's early 40's cars used? And is the seatback completely bare as if the car is more than a few years old when picture was taken?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:16 am:

To Steve, yes they still recap tires.....here :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Steve,

Recapping, while not used much anymore more for cars and pick-ups, is still important in trucking and bussing. Here in CA they're required to use only new tires on the front but everything else may be, and almost always is, a recap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Here in Florida you can find the recaps all over the road where they peel off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:27 am:

I think the word "Endures" is telling that this was an old car at the time
of the photo. The costumes also support the "novelty" of the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:31 am:

The picture does seem odd, maybe its a later gag photo from the 40s or 50s

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Looks to be a '14 date on the licence plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 11:47 am:

A 1914 license plate and upholstery removed would suggest an older model re-purposed. I'm guessing it was repainted a light color for this commercial use.
There is a lot to ponder in this one. A parade? Some local thespians?
Always fun.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Best clue to date the photo is those "late model" horns the "official car" has been fitted with. Pretty sure it's a parade or costume occasion sometime in the mid 1930's or much later. The car (is it an "N" ?) and the "endures" slogan pretty well tells us it's a survivor relic the Ford dealer trots out for special occasions. I'd be willing to bet the 1914 license plate means nothing more than it's a . . . 1914 license plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

I agree with Howard and Rich -- the "trumpet horns" facing backwards are the newest items I see in the photo so far. And I'm not sure if they are air horns or electric -- but they do NOT look like 1914 or earlier. We had a set similar in shape on the garage wall when I was growing up. I would guess 1940s plus or minus some years for the date of the horns.

For the car -- it is clearly a Model N, R, S, or SR originally.

The rear fenders and step plates are clearly Model N.

The hood does not appear to have an inspection door on the right hand side -- and that was a Model N item also.

The flat dash was standard for the Model N Runabout, R Runabout and S Runabout.

The shift lever, frame, radiator, rear springs, rear axle, front axle, steering column (if the spark and gas rods are exposed -- I cannot tell from the photo) could be from a N, R, S, or SR.

The seat frame appears to be a 1907 to 1908 N, R, S, or SR as the top irons go all the way to the top of the front seat backs. The 1906 and early 07 N had them coming out the back of the front seat backs.

But the "Platform" the seat is fitted to is NOT a standard Model N Runabout, Model R Runabout, Model S Runabout or Model S Roadster lower body section. They didn't make that style from the factory. Below are some old photos of the Model S Roadster that shows that the section behind the seat was a straight and not a curved cut out.

I apologize, but I do not remember who was kind enough to send me the photos and it is late so I don't have time to search for the name.

My guess, the original photo was a 1907-08 Model N Runabout that the lower portion of the body was removed and a new lower section was crafted so it could be a tourabout or roadster with the mother-in-law seat. That is what happened to Rob's Model N Rubnabout #3 sometime on or before the 1920s time frame. And several after market suppliers offered kits to upgrade your older Ford to look newer and carry more people.

Note while it is an N chassis -- based on the step plate and rear fender. Any of the N,R,S, or SR parts can be bolted onto any N, R, S, or SR car. In some cases you might have to drill a hole -- but the frames normally already had the holes punched so they could use any frame with any body.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Could that be a movie still? Under all that face-fur it kinda looks like Micky Rooney. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Nice detective work fellows. I agree.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:31 am:

Removing the turtle deck and installing a mother-in-law seat seems to have been popular modification to Model N, R, and S runabouts. I have seen several of these conversions, and currently have a 1906- early 1907 body with the turtle removed and a similar box was added behind the front seat. These were not regular bodies supplied to Ford, but were aftermarket purchases or modifications. Advertisements for these conversion bodies can be found in 1906-1909 issues of Automobile and Cycle Trade Journal, and Horseless Age.

Both of the photos that Hap submitted above are of Model S Roadsters pretty much just as they were when they were shipped from Piquette. The Model S Roadsters were made from March 1, 1908 through September 1908. Although Bruce McCalley in his study of Model T shipping invoices found two shipping invoices for Model SR cars that appear to have been produced in the summer of 1909.

Respectfully Submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 05:34 am:

Val S., I think that if you look at those "recaps" all over the road, you will see that most of them are from radial tires that have been run with too little pressure, or went flat. Most of them, but not all by any means, have the wires from the steel belts in them. Radials don't like low pressure. At least that's what happens around here. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

Dave you may be right about that but with all the truck traffic on I-95 and the 95 degree weather down here in Florida I would think it is prime territory for peeling recaps. Either way you don't want to hit one laying in the road going 70 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Val, you are correct! I brought my 1st T back from Florida last year. My 16 ft enclosed trailer and my buddys brand new truck. I was driving about 11 pm on the way home and the car in front swerved. 3 lanes all full. You dont jerk the wheel running 80mph with a loaded trailer. Missed it with the truck but my fender was gone. Light gone. Tire in the road. Got lucky and had no flat on trailer. Plate is mounted on rear door. Never stopped till we were home.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration