What years shackles?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: What years shackles?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

What years would these be used. Disassembled a cut down chassis and I dont know what year it is. The rear axle had the stamped tabs on backing plates . The brake shoes are the same as my 26.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

1920-1923

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Tim, those ran a little longer than 1923 on our Canadian sourced cars. They are not reproduced, but can be relatively easily rebuilt by welding the pins and turning them down again. Yours are in much better condition than some I have rescued.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

Allan, thanks for that edification. Came back here to also mention that often the style that Dallas shows is sometimes cornfused with the riveted "L" style used in '17-'19.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

This chassis had this style shackles front and rear. The front spindles are 19-25 I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

Rear axle 26-27?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

Judging by that backing plate It looks the same as my 26. Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 04, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Tim, it might be a Canadian thing, but I have never seen L shackles with the riveted pin you mention. The one piece forging is certainly a better design.
If the riveted pin type were superseded by these, it would appear that Ford US recognised this.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:14 am:

Allan, you're probably right re your last sentence. Seems to me Dave Huson had some of these so-called riveted shackles for sale a while back. I could be wrong though. Lotta people look at 'em and think they're missing the oiler from that end, but they're not. The repops make an attempt at assimilating the style Dallas originally showed at the start of his thread, but they're far from authentic. I have them on my '20 and frankly I don't like the looks of them at all. They do a much better job of replicating the "U" shaped shackles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration