Steering column mount bolts and wood?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Steering column mount bolts and wood?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:53 am:

I am making the firewall bend to install my cylinder head: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/741991.html?1491329147

I dismounted the lower steering column mount to help with that. Here are the bolts and piece of wood that held it on. The long one went through the wood, the others through the frame rail. Anything wrong with these? Are they the right size? How about the wood? If I should have to replace the wood, what species of tree is used?

Lower steering column mount.
Lower steering column mount bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 01:14 am:

Langs sells that block for $2.50...and looks to be made of maple.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 08:58 am:

They also sell the nut/bolt kit for the steering bracket. Yours look a little bit worn, so I'd get them too. Between their wood block and bolt kit, now you're up to snuff. Get 'em!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:39 am:

Ignacio,

These would fix your firewall problems;

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Is that fire damage on the wooden block?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 11:36 am:

You can make your own, use a good hardwood, maple is what Ford did, but good oak will work too.

Be sure your width dimensions are good to make the block fit snug, don't want the steering bracket to wiggle. Your old block is really shot!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

oak is a lousy wood to use for the block, Maple or Alder would be MUCH better. Oak is too open-grained and prone to cracking.
I think your bolts are OK, but hard to tell, there's so much rust showing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, April 05, 2017 - 12:10 pm:

I agree with David and so does the ford drawing - HARD MAPLE was the only species used for this part. For that matter every block that I have seen the drawing on was also made from Hard Maple. It is closed grain and very hard - saws great - hard to plane, accepts paint wonderfully - lasts a long time as evidenced by the picture of the nearly century old block above.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration